Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jefe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Outside AC unit kicking on in winter
    I have central air, and the outside unit (condenser right? I'm a complete noob) kicks on for about 30 seconds, then stops for 30 seconds, then repeats.

This doesn't seem normal. Advice?

Thx!
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Jan 15, 2006, 08:28 PM
    Is it a heat pump?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2006, 08:42 PM
    I would cut the breaker to it until you have time to find and fix the problem. My guess is that even with the crankcase heater, you have liquid in the compressor and it kicks on, over heats and kicks off, cools, and starts again. Very bad.

First thing is to check for 24 volts between the Y and B or C terminal at the furnace. If so, then disconnect the yellow wire from the thermostat and see if you still have the 24 volts. If not, and it is set to heating mode, the thermostat or wiring has a problem. If so, the problem is on the control board.
    jefe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 04:23 AM
    Yes, I have tripped the breaker in the meantime.

Thanks for the tips, I will check them out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan direction: Summer vs. Winter [ 3 Answers ]

I moved recently and can't find my owners manual. But I remember it mentioned that you should have the fan direct air downward or upward depending on season. Does anyone know which way the fan should be pointing in the summer? Thanks.

Lennox A/C unit won't run [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, I'm hoping to get some pointers. I noticed last week that while the fan on the inside unit was running in my house, the outside Lennox (HL26 I think) was not running at all. I usually don't try to fix this kind of stuff myself, so I called a local HVAC/Electric company to come look at...

Swamper/AC unit [ 1 Answers ]

Is it energy efficient to run both units simultaneously? Is there a way where one themostat controls both units? How do you duct it?

Help with home a/c unit [ 5 Answers ]

I am wondering if any one can help me? Our a/c system dose not cool like it should.I work on automobile a/c systems so I know a little about how a/c systems work. I am pretty sure the two systems are basically the same.Right or wrong? We just moved into the house about eight months ago and I just...

Climatrol unit [ 3 Answers ]

I have a climatrol unit and the pilot will not stay on. Please help!! Any suggestions on what the problem might be and how to fix. Also how can I get in contact with climatrol?

View more questions Search