Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

Jan 31, 2008, 10:58 PM
    Controlling or Poor Priorities
    Hey all,

I'll try to keep this a quick questions...

I am torn in my mind about my current situation. I cannot decide for myself whether my actions are selfish, due to poor priorities, or whether I am in a controlling relationship and my mindset has been altered, causing this self-doubt (if that is even a possibility).

There are many examples, for Ill give a hypothetical: I have not been around for about 2 weeks (away at school). I come home for a long (4-day) weekend. I spent most of my time with her, probably about 85% of the time she is not working. I will see her everyday. I would like to see my friends back home for one night, which may mean she does not see me for a full day due to her work and my going out.

I don't know if I am being selfish by not spending as much time with her as possible. My mind says I am giving her a majority of the time, which should be more than acceptable, but my heart is torn...

Thanks for any input
    kandyfruitcake Posts: 67, Reputation: 18

Feb 1, 2008, 12:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird213
    Hey all,

I'll try to keep this a quick questions....

I am torn in my mind about my current situation. I cannot decide for myself whether or not my actions are selfish, due to poor priorities, or whether I am in a controlling relationship and my mindset has been altered, causing this self-doubt (if that is even a possibility).

There are many examples, for Ill give a hypothetical: I have not been around for about 2 weeks (away at school). I come home for a long (4-day) weekend. I spent most of my time with her, probably about 85% of the time she is not working. I will see her everyday. I would like to see my friends back home for one night, which may mean she does not see me for a full day due to her work and my going out.

I dont know if I am being selfish by not spending as much time with her as possible. My mind says I am giving her a majority of the time, which should be more than acceptable, but my heart is torn....

Thanks for any input
    Go visit your friends. Unless you're married with kids you should be dedicating quality time to after an absence, then if you're in a long-term relationship, what's one night in the scheme of things? Friends are important - we love our family (hopefully) but we choose our friends and when your relationships fail, you fall out with your family, who's usually there to help you deal with it? Your friends. Unless they're cokeheads or want you to hang about the local cathouse, respect your friendships as much as you respect your partner. And respect your right not to be a doormat.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2008, 12:58 AM
    As much as they don't like to admit it, women like to chase.

You spending every minute with her... she'll get bored of it. She'll eventually "need space". You'll end up back here.

Have your own life. It's perfectly fine.
    TrueFaith Posts: 1,202, Reputation: 313
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2008, 04:36 AM
    Damn Isneezefunny

You got the same views as me. How could you disagree with me in my post :) amazing.

Anyway I agree

They do like to chase. They do get Bored pretty fast.

Girls are a part of your life........Not Your Life
    lickemlolly Posts: 397, Reputation: 62

Feb 1, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Definantly go see your friends, her not seeing that you have a life outside of her would be selfish because when you spend all your time with one person you start to get sick of them... even if you are away at school. Your friends might see it as you neglecting them. I really don't think one day is going to kill the relationship. I am married and me and my husband still go and hang out with friends away from one another and that's OK. You have to know that its OK that you hang out with the boys once and a while... its OK to be away from her for a while.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2008, 05:57 AM
    I third and fourth and fifth that. Your not being selfish for wanting to see your friends as well. Good on you. Spend a day with your friends.

Take care.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Visit friends and have fun, she will understand, I think.
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

Feb 1, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Thanks for the input guys,

You basically supported what I thought, but I guess after time, it starts to seem like the other person is right, no matter how wrong they might be.

Thanks a bunch

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is he controlling? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I have been talking to this guy and we have been thinking about becoming a couple. But I think that he is too controlling. He always wants to be where I am and he gets jealous when I tell him that I am hanging out with other friends. We recently had a fight because I told him that I was coming...

Husband's priorities are friends and football [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for four years, and we generally have a comfortable marriage. However, lately, my husband seems overly preocuppied with his friends, football, and regular outings to the bar. And the amount of quality time that he spends with me has diminished proportionately. ...

RCA27V TV is controlling itself [ 4 Answers ]

:mad: I have an RCA TV that is 1 and half yrs. Old and it will not stay on a channel, the sound goes to 100 on its own and it shuts on and off by itself. RCA says tough... it is no longer under warranty. I am furious because I bought RCA because I thought it was a good brand and all they can say...

Priorities at work vs personal life [ 4 Answers ]

I have been working as a very senior manager and have built a very successful brand in an upcoming industry. But the work timings were close to14 hours everyday without a break and though I was very successful I started feeling very low and was constantly depressed as my 5 year old son was being...

View more questions Search