Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chicka3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 07:59 PM
    I went through the fingerprinting, court for "theft under $5000 "(ontario, CA)
    THIS IS NOT A QUESTION, BUT A PLACE SOME PEOPLE MIGHT WANT TO REFER TO TO ANSWER THEIR OWN QUESTIONS SINCE IM NOT SURE WHERE ELSE I SHOULD POST THIS

All right guys so I'm fron ontario, canada and just wanted to share my experience I stole from and HBC store, about $10 worth. I was leaving the store and was caught red-handed with the merchandise. They brought me to the back room and then the police were brought in a while ago. I was told that I had to attend a fingerprinting and court date. My fingerprinting was 2 days ago. It was a very simple procedure that only took about 10 minutes. My court date was today. I went a bit early and was asking a lady about diversion but they gave me a form for that anyway, and as well, the other people with me who had committed the same crime (first offence of theft under $5000) also received that form. So there were 4 of us and we were sitting in the court room. The procedure was that a probation officer had a talk with us; it was like a lecture I guess. Then we saw a short video. This was our diversion program apparently. It was only an hr long. After the talk and the video, the crown attorney talked to us for a bit while we waited for the judge, talking nicely with us, and even cracking a few jokes. She explained to us that when the judge came (justice of the peace), all our charges would be dismissed. At this time the probation officer had left, and a clergy member had arrived. Finally, the "JP"(judge) arrived. We were called up one by one to stand at the podium and say our name. Then the crown attorney said we completed this diversion program, the judge said the charges were dismissed, and that we were free to go. I don’t have a criminal record. I asked a lot of questions about this going on a record and everything. What happened for me is that there is no criminal record at all, and that I wasn’t charged/convicted of anything. The only thing is that if I ever commit this crime again the charges will be severe. Also the only people that will know about this are the police. If background checks are done by employers, nothing will turn up. The crown attorney said also that after a yr, we can write a letter to the arresting officer, asking for our fingerprints to be destroyed, and after this they will be destroyed. I didn't have to do community service, write an apology letter, nothing. Also, a couple of people had a lawyer, which was pointless. We didn’t even have to talk at all. The only thing I had to say during the whole process was my name, when the judge asked me to do so. We all were treated the same, with or without lawyers. The whole time when we were there, the 2 people that had lawyers, their lawyers weren’t even there. For all of us, since it was our first offence the charges were dropped so getting a lawyer in my case wasn’t too important. Imp supposed to be getting a letter in the mail about paying to HBC I assume it will be a few hundred dollars. Overall this experience wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be. I made a stupid mistake just like you and I know now to never ever commit this crime again because if I do, next time, the consequences will be greater.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Yeah that is pretty much the procedure for first time offense. What gets me is the repeat offenders that keep stealing $10 (often even less) and up items and having to pay over $200. Fine for the item that would have only cost them way less in the first place.
    chicka3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 08:36 PM
    Im not about to do it again its not some addiction it was the spur of the moment thing it was my first time even trying it, much less getting caught. This experience has shaken me up and made me feel so much guilt and I never want to go through it again.
    agnathan Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Did you ever have to speak to a duty council?

I really appreciate this post, thanks~
    Baset89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 09:24 PM
    How old are you?
    helpneededasap Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Hi, I have a sister going through this process as well, if you don't mind, can you tell me how old you were at the time? I wonder if the situation might be different because my sister was 18 when she was caught shoplifting. And thanks a lot for posting this, it helped a lot!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2008, 07:06 PM
    I am happy they told you that the fingerprint records are destroyed, and perhaps locally they will be, now for some truth, Canada works with the US Dept of Justice and all people fingerprinted in either nation have their finger prints entered for id purposes. So your fingerprints will be there and on file for ever, they don't destroy their fingerprint records

CJIS Division Homepage
    keljai Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 06:59 AM
    So has anyone actaully tried to get their own criminal record check to see if its even on there?
    JoeRocket84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 11:04 PM
    I went through a similar process about 2 years ago myself, and I was over 18 when it happened so the stakes were definitely higher.

Taking into account I had pulled a similar (and just as stupid) stunt when I was 14 I was a bit familiar with the process, but scared out of my mind that I would end up with a criminal record and basically ruin my future due to a juvenile stunt with no valid excuse for doing it. I was given a thick report known as "full disclosure" which gives the reports written by the arresting officers as well as a report from the employee who had caught me. If it's your first offense (anything done while under 18 does not really have any bearing on it) most offenders are given the option that you were given. If you fulfill the terms of your probation, pay the fine etc that you were told to pay in the time you've been given then in one year the whole situation is wiped from your record.

If, however, you happen to make the same up during that one year probation then all of your past charges are brought back up and you'll have to answer for any dropped charges as well as your new ones.

When they wipe your record it means that any employer (or anyone else) who does a full background check on you it will not show up in the search. The record IS still available to police and the courts.

If you are arrested by the police 5 years after your record has been "wiped" when they pull up your file on their dash computers they have full access to everything that you've done. While I was in the back of the cruiser I was able to take a look at my own record and the arresting officer even made a comment to me about my arrest when I was 14. So they can look at your record no problem.

On the plus side; your future employers, schools etc will not be able to see any of your silly mistakes, but if you do something to catch the cops attention they have full access to what you've done and will respond to the situation with all of that information in mind.

Also, I have yet to have any kind of static while trying to cross the border into the US, as far as I know they can see your record (not 100% sure) but unless it's an offense that may make you a liability in the US they won't stop you from crossing the border.

Hope that helps!
    emery Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Jun 2, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Joerocket, what were you charged with two years ago and what was the result. I am asking because I am also concerned about entry into the US. I know someone who has a conditional discharge and was wondering about entry into the US>
    helpneededasap Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Hi, Just wondering when the counsel asked if you are pleading guilty or not, what did you say?

Thanks!
    dumbguy83 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Jul 22, 2008, 06:06 AM
    How old were you when caught?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbguy83
    how old were you when caught?

The person who originally posted is 18
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 07:03 AM
    I would think you should plead guilty because you did it and if you plead not guilty it will look like you are not remorseful, in denial and negative things.
    anmat Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emery View Post
    Joerocket, what were you charged with two years ago and what was the result. I am asking because I am also concerned about entry into the US. I know someone who has a conditional discharge and was wondering about entry into the US>
    Conditinal discharge person has to wait 3 years from date of discharge ( or completion of probation ) see exact wording as quoted below:

"Absolute discharges are removed from Canada's records system (CPIC) one year after the sentence was given. Conditional discharges are removed from CPIC three years after the sentence was given"

You must check out if your record if removed from CPIC because when you cross the border, US officer might press a button on his computer to see if there is any record. Your offense details will appear as CPIC access is granted to US bordar officers. He will not like it and will download CPIC record into US computer system. Even if CPIC record was removed from CPIC, US border computer will have it and you will be asked to park you car and face questiones whenever you cross border.
    In order to remove your record from US border computors you will have to hire a lawyer and seek pardon or whatever the procedure is. Bottom line : Never cross border before making sure CPIC has been purged.
    jeoffrok Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 09:26 AM
    Thanks a lot for this!
    I was worried about what would happen in court but this has calmed my nerves quite a bit!
    Thanks so much again <3
    jeoffrok Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 09:28 AM

Thank you for this!!
    I was extremely worried about what would happen with me at court on Thursday.
    But I'm happy someone has given some insight to those who are worried about this situation!

Thanks so much
    springer01 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2010, 07:11 PM

What ended up happening in court on Thursday?. I have to go in may and I am very scared! How old are you?. what happe! Please let me know!

Thanks!!
    bolsa1778 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 05:37 AM

I have a question I was charged with theft under 5000 when I was 17 and received a full pardon within a year of my charges being dropped I am 31 and have been charged again for theft under 5000, it was error in judgement and a mind lapse, what would I be looking at this time is diversion a possibility.
    mazila Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jun 22, 2010, 05:45 PM

Hello to everyone, I have same problem, my court is on 17 July, so so long wait, I ma 28 year old, please can some body tell me, are its different for the adult, I mean the court, and charges, Fraud under 5000 $ , y-the amount iz 65 $

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fingerprinting after Theft Under 5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I was charged with theft under 5000 in ontario last month. I hired a lawyer and the lawyer said the court was giving me diversion and I have to pay to a charity. I was wondering if I still have to give my fingerprints on the fingerprinting date and also how long would all this stay...

Theft under $5000, in ontario [ 1 Answers ]

I got caught under section 334(b), theft under $5000, in ontario first time. Need to appear in court. I'm guilty and would never ever going to do this mistake. I would not like to get those under my record. What are things should I do. Can anyone guide me for this please, so that my carrier not get...

Theft Under $5000, Ontario, What To Do? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a good friend of mine get caught stealing small amounts of money from the employee break room at his work. He was caught over a few different occasions on camera, but never confronted until the other day when the police showed up at his work to arrest him. He was questioned and given...

Theft under 5000 ontario ? [ 2 Answers ]

I recentlly was held in jail for 5 days due to a child support issue during this time I was brought back into court before my 5 days was up and was charged with theft under 5000 x2 now these charges where from where I worked as a superintendent over 5 years ago. The crowns disclosure stated they...

View more questions Search