Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fenixheart Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Wisconsin Divorce
    My question is for my girl friend she is married with a 16 month old she has not bin happy with him for a very long time and the reason she is leaving him is because he is a bad father.
    Now as for my questions my first one is How dose she go about getting some sort of legal aid in WI dew to the fact she cannot afford a lawyer because her husband lost there money.
    My second question is If he gives up his rights to there child dose he still pay child support.
    Dose anyone know how long it will take to get the divorce and what should she know going in to this to be prepaired.

The last question is for me after all is siad and done I want to marry her and I would like to adopt her daughter and give her my last name if he was to give up his rights what do I need to know?

Thank you for any help
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2008, 10:16 AM
    [QUOTE=fenixheart]My question is for my girl friend she is married with a 16 month old she has not bin happy with him for a very long time and the reason she is leaving him is because he is a bad father.
    Now as for my questions my first one is How dose she go about getting some sort of legal aid in WI dew to the fact she cannot afford a lawyer because her husband lost there money.
    My second question is If he gives up his rights to there child dose he still pay child support.
    Dose anyone know how long it will take to get the divorce and what should she know going in to this to be prepaired.

The last question is for me after all is siad and done I want to marry her and I would like to adopt her daughter and give her my last name if he was to give up his rights what do I need to know?

To find out about Legal Aid help in Wisconsin, call your local legal Aid office.

He cannot relinquish the child (in most instances I know) unless someone else stands ready to adopt AND SUPPORT the child - the State does not want this child on Welfare. The father's intention to relinquish or not relinquish the child is, of course, not covered in the divorce decree. That's a separate Family Court matter.

How long does it take? Depends on the Attorneys involved, whether there are arguments, the Court schedule, whether your girlfriend actually has grounds for divorce - never a set time frame.

Before you can adopt, the father must relinquish his rights - which he may or may not be willing to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wisconsin shooting [ 80 Answers ]

----------------------------------------- http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2185780,00.html Five killed in Wisconsin shooting Staff and agencies Sunday October 7, 2007 Guardian Unlimited

Wisconsin eviction [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Wisconsin and about 3 years ago, my girlfriend and I decided to buy a house together, we have been together for approx. 8 years ( I know bad idea from the start ). Because of I had a past issue with identity theft, we decided to have the mortgage in her name only for the first year. We...

View more questions Search