Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deri Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2004, 08:27 PM
    Would GFCI trip?
    I'm into salt water fish tanks and I'm trying to get a better understanding of when a GFCI would (or wouldn't) trip under different situations.

Suppose I had 1 submersible pump in the tank and for some reason it cracked. (For example, if I were hammering a nail into the wall above the tank and I accidentally dropped the hammer into the tank and it unluckily crashed into the underwater pump and smashed it open). For the sake of argument, lets suppose it completely smashed the pump, exposing both the hot and neutral leads. If the pump were plugged into a GFCI outlet, should the GFCI trip? I'm not sure whether it matters or not, but the pumps in this hobby have only 2-prong male receptacles (i.e. there is no ground prong on most of them).

I would guess that the current in the hot lead would arc through the salt water to get to the neutral lead and since salt water has higher resistance than the metal contacts and wires within the pump, the higher resistance would decrease current flow and this would trip the GFCI. But, I really don't know.

Anyone?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2004, 09:22 PM
    Re: Would GFCI trip?
    N a GFCI circuit, anytime the current in the hot wire exceeds the current in the neutral, it shuts off because that means current is leaking through to ground perhaps through somebody. If there is no other path to ground from the water in the aquarium than the neutral, the GFCI should not trip. With a low resistance connection from the hot wire to the neutral through the water, It should draw enough current to trip the breaker. Circuit breakers only allow so much current to flow out regardless of where it goes. If the pump had a ground wire as well as the neutral, the GFCI might beat the circuit breaker to shutting off the circuit.

deri Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2004, 09:40 PM
    Thanks Labman!  Something about this still doesn't make sense to me.

Since V=IR, wouldn't the high R that arose because the current suddenly had to travel through the salt water (salt water having a higher resistance than metal) cause a decrease in current in the neutral lead as long as V remained at 120V? In that case why woudn't the current in the hot lead exceed that of the neutral?

Thanks again!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2004, 10:30 AM
    In the pump motor not only do you have the resistance of the wire, but you also have back EMF. This is caused by the interaction of the magnetic fields that are running the motor. A running motor, coil, transformer, etc. acts to a current like a much higher resistance that that of the wires mAking up the circuit. The other thing is that what the salt water may lack in conductivity, it makes up in volume. Just as larger wires offer less resistance to current, so does a whole tank of water. Exposing both wires to the saltwater, will cause a large increase of current. Ordinary tap water will also conduct dangerous amounts of electricity.

As long as there is no other path to ground than the neutral, the current in both wires must be the same. The GFIC will detect any leakages too small to trip the breaker, and disconnect the power before the stray current can injure anybody.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to take money on trip [ 3 Answers ]

My son is going to Italy and Greece on a school trip very soon. We have gotten conflicting advice as to how best to exchange his money. First what is the best way to secure it. Traveler's Checks, debit card or any other way. Also does the exchange rate differ enough that he should wait until he...

Repairing tub trip drain [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace the rod and bucket for my brass trip drain on the tub. The problem is that the normal replacement "bucket" is too large. My old one measures about 1.25 inches. Generic replacement is about 1 5/16 inches. Where is this available? I hate to replace the entire drain system if not...

Round Trip times [ 4 Answers ]

My Question is if Series of Round trip times(RTT) is given.Then how can we find out The Smoothed RTT,The Deviation in RTT,The Time out interval at each value.

Breaker doesn't trip [ 3 Answers ]

There is a property that has a 30-amp breaker in the electrical distribution panel labeled for the AC unit. The outside HVAC unit had a maximum over-current protection rating of 25-amps. I'm looking to see how serious this is and also to understand why the breaker doesn't trip with that amp...

Should I ask this girl on a trip... [ 4 Answers ]

I've only known her for about a month now and when we talk we seem to share some of the same things in life. We are both kind of busy and haven't been out on a date yet but I wonder I should ask her on this 6 day trip with me to break the ice or not. I can't really tell if she's intrested in...

View more questions Search