Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bogdan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2006, 11:00 AM
    Custom shower stall construction
    Hello,

Could you give me specific steps to build custom shower base - what is the best membrane to install in the shower base, how to do it as well how to attach it to shower drain
    Thanks
    Bogdan
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2006, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan
    Hello,

Could you give me specific steps to build custom shower base - what is the best membrane to install in the shower base, how to do it as well how to attach it to shower drain
    Thanks
    Bogdan
    I can advise you on the shower pan and flange type shower drain,(see image)
    but after we install the pan, drain and hook up the shower valve the tile men take over. I can't help you with that.

Since you didn't say I assume the pipes will be PVC. You will first frame out a base for the shower making the threshold with 2X4's as high as you wish. Then prime and glue a flange type shower drain,(see image) to the trap raiser. Cut any excess raiser back even with the flange. Remove the bolts from the drain and pull the top of the flange and drain off. You will be using Blue Compaseal for the pan. Measure the base and since the pan will have 8" lips cut the Compaseal plastic 8" wider on each side. This means that if you want your base to measure 42" by 36" you will cut the plastic 58" long and 52" wide. Center the plastic and cut a hole for the raiser. Here comes the tricky part. You will make your corner folds seamless on all corners. Now, using dry wall nails nail up the two ends and the back to the studs leaving the front hang over the threshold. Now place the top part of the flange and drain assembly and tighten the bolts,( Just poke holes in the pan for the bolts to go through). Test your work by filling the pan with a inch of water or so and check for leaks. This is as far as a plumber goes. From here on in it's up to the tile guys. Good luck, Tom
    Bogdan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2006, 02:18 PM
    Custom shower drain assembly

Tom,

Thank you very much for your instructions - everything is clear and concise.
    Yes, the pipes are PVC.
    I appreciate your help. Great job.
    Regards
    Bogdan
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 16, 2006, 02:27 PM
    If you go to the Construction section of this forum under the post 'Custom Tile Shower' posted by Hooper. Borewym & Dherman give to great links on how to build a shower pan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Fiberglass Shower/Tub with Custom Built [ 6 Answers ]

I want to rip out my fiberglass shower/tub assembly (1970 vintage) and install a new tub with tiled shower walls above, glass doors, and all new fixtures. Is there a good plan available somewhere as to how to do this? I'm particularly curious as to what base is required to attach the tiles. Any...

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

Custom Tile Shower? [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning on putting a custom shower in my basement and was not sure on how to handle the floor. The plumbing is roughed in but inside the shower is just a flat concrete floor ( the floor was cut to add the drain.) I feel I need to add some slop to the drain. I heard of a dry mortor bed but...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

View more questions Search