Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Jan 31, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Samson a hero?
    Why is Samson considered a "hero?"

It seems to me that other judges and monarchs--while none were perfect--came closer to deserving hero status.

It almost seems like Samson never wanted the life for himself that his mother was instructed to give him. Like many other male leaders, his brains and wisdom were overcome by other parts of his anatomy. Sure, he killed lots of Philistines, but couldn't he have done that without betraying himself, the Lord, and his Nazarite vow?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 08:52 AM
    I think what made Samson a hero was that even though he sinned, he repented. His vanity and love of the wrong woman, his ego and his rampant dealings all caught up with him. He asked for forgiveness, asked for the chance to serve his Lord and God heard his cries and answered him. To me, it tells the lesson that we all can fall short yet be forgiven and used for God's glory.
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Jan 31, 2008, 06:38 PM
    What is important to remember is that we don't consider him any more of a hero than any other judge -- the section of the Torah which discusses the prophets gives unflinchingly human presentations, flaws and all. Yiftach and his stupid vow, David and his indiscretions, Solomon and his idolatrous wives, Barak and his cowardice. These are part of what makes these eaders human and real. If we were to write myths we would have significantly more perfect leaders, but that isn't the way people really are. Shimshon (Samson) was an important leader with a G-d given ability. He redeemed himself and repented his mistakes and performed a service on behalf of his people. His story is one of many of great human leaders who had to make difficult decisions, and occasionally, sacrifices in order to be who they were supposed to be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

You think he might have went a little too far or is he your hero? [ 10 Answers ]

You got to love this guy. This is a true story about a recent wedding that Took place at Clemson University . It made the Local newspaper; even Jay Leno made mention of it. It was a huge wedding with about 300 guests. After the wedding, at the reception, the Groom got up on stage with...

Guitar hero 3 for the wii [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone play guitar hero 3 for the wii? Every time I play one of the songs I have to press the button a couple seconds before it reaches the color. It is very annoying and is there any way to fix it?

Hero was fired! [ 30 Answers ]

Leave to al-AP to marginalize a hero... Deranged gunman storms a church "carrying an assault rifle, two pistols and a backpack holding more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition," a 42 year old woman takes him out with her pistol and all the AP can say is she is "credited with shooting the...

Guitar Hero/Guitar Hero II for PS3 help. [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I don't have a PS2 'cause I made a mistake by waiting for the PS3 to come out forever, but SINCE IT'S FINALLY COMING OUT... I'm going to get it. And the first games I want are Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II. I want to know if it'll play on my Play Station 3 since it's made for Play...

The Strength of Samson [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Samson lost his power when his hair was cut, why? Take care, Hope12 :o

View more questions Search