Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Jan 31, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Military physical fitness
    I have been serving for over 12 years and I was just reading an article about what the standards should be for physical fitness. I was so disgusted with what they believe the standard should be. It seems to me they lower the standard every year. I will admit I am in shape and I take care of myself. But I am sick and tired of seeing other military personal over weight. It also stated that this standard is right across the board regardless of what trade they are in. How can this be? I see way to many people in the military that are over weight. Why doesn't the higher ups fix this problem. It does make the military look bad. And to think that If I am over seas and I for some reason get shout, would this person being over weight be able to assist me by pulling me back to safety?
    Does anyone else agree with me on this?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Sadly so many things are dumbed down nowadays.

I do believe, though, that the standards are higher for combat related MOS's, aren't they?

Jan 31, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    Sadly so many things are dumbed down nowadays.

I do believe, though, that the standards are higher for combat related MOS's, aren't they?
    They do have higher standards for different MOC but still the standard is not meet by most people in the military.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Hello Scotty:

I, of course, was in excellent shape. But in the Navy, once you got out of boot camp and aboard ship, the calisthenics were over. In Nam, I fought my war by pushing buttons. You don't have to be in great shape to do that.

I don't know if things have changed, but I'll bet not.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 09:03 AM
    I know the Army really was after my oldest son, for recruitment. He went and took the physical. Now he has a bullet lodged in the back of his left leg - from a hunting accident. While that accident happened five years ago he still has nerve ending problems with his leg and foot. They still were going to take him! Now he can run five miles without too much difficulty but certainly not longer distances. Maybe nothing would have happened to him if he would have went in. BUT... the recruiter was far too willing to lower the standard in order to get my son recruited. What put a stop to it was my son saying they he did not feel qualified enough.

Jan 31, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    I know the Army really was after my oldest son, for recruitment. He went and took the physical. Now he has a bullet lodged in the back of his left leg - from a hunting accident. While that accident happened five years ago he still has nerve ending problems with his leg and foot. They still were going to take him! Now he can run five miles without too much difficulty but certainly not longer distances. Maybe nothing would have happened to him if he would have went in. BUT... the recruiter was far too willing to lower the standard in order to get my son recruited. What put a stop to it was my son saying they he did not feel qualified enough.
    I really feel bad for your son. It takes a strong man or woman to admit when they are not ready or prepared. Don't get me wrong. When you first enlist you are not to what we call the standard. They will train them to get there. I am mostly aiming this at personal in the military that have a few years in and let it go. I also understand that in other MOC they are restricted to do as much as they can, because where they work and how much they work. But for others in the same MOC as myself always have an excuse when it comes to there PT testing each year. Totally out of the question.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 10:16 AM
    The Gung HO on physical is Gung Gone -- The Marines --Seals -- Special Forces may

Still have some -- maybe their life depends on it... Physical fitness is probably a joke

--the joke would be on them if you had to save them or the other way around...

Jan 31, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsie
    The Gung HO on physical is Gung Gone -- The Marines --Seals -- Special Forces may

still have some -- maybe their life depends on it ... Physical fitness is probably a joke

--the joke would be on them if you had to save them or the other way around...
    You are totally right. I have pulled a few out of harms way in my day but I would regret it if I couldn't due to there weight.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 11:42 AM
    I had an uncle who was allowed to join the army 30 years ago even though he had one leg shorter than the other. No surprise he didn't complete basic training due to knee and hip strain caused by running wonky. Don't know where the quality control/medical exam was doing then!

Seriously though I think it has become easier on the most part comparing what my parents had to do and what I would have (I considered enlisting). However at least in the RAF (UK) they have changed that women have to do full push ups now instead of the 3/4 ones.

excon as a good point though- not all service personnel do physical jobs. Also these days (in the UK anyway) it is getting harder to recruit so for non front line jobs perhaps lowering fitness standard in return for more skilled personnel for certain jobs would be a reasonable sacrifice. But perhaps that is only something a civvie would say?
    wewed100606 Posts: 228, Reputation: 36

Jan 31, 2008, 11:52 AM
    I agree with all of you on the lowering of the standards. It is bunk. I have no military experience whatsoever, but I think I would honestly be more worried about the IQ level of some of these recruits. I appreciate every man and woman fighting for our country. The way our country works though, with voluntary service, you aren't going to get the cream of the crop. And when things like these "conflicts and wars" in the middle east are going on, most people, not all, but most are going to take a different option if they have it. So now, we have the kids coming out of HS who can't get into a Community College or Tech School because of grades and test scores joining the military for the $20,000 + enlistment bonus. They take the bonus, go out buy a new truck, and then we give these, for lack of a better term knuckleheads, automatic rifles and let them make life or death decisions for other people. If you ask me, which you aren't but I will give you my two cents anyway, we should have a mandatory military enlistment for all medically able bodied people for 4 years like a lot of other coutries. It might keep our wars to a minimum also if our damn leaders know that their children and grandchildren might have no choice but to go over there too. Just my view. Once again, thanks to everyone who is currently or has previously served our country... I am very grateful!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Both my youngest brother and his wife were career Army. My brother retired four years ago and my sister-in-law retired last year. My sister-in-law could not meet her physical requirements for the last three of her years but she maintained her status. Maybe it made a difference that she was not front line, as in infantry. For my brother, it would have made a big difference to be even over his weight limit by 5 lbs.

While I extremely proud of both of them for their services, I am also deeply thankful they are both in different careers with no chances of going overseas again and again.

Feb 2, 2008, 11:16 AM
    I am proud of being a solder. But it would be nice to see all the solders in shape. Don't forget regardless of what job you do in the military you first job is the protect your country. Pro Patria
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Mar 8, 2008, 04:38 AM
    I know for a fact that Air Force is lenient on physical fitness. It's more of body type.

For the other branches, training is same except Army is a bit lenient because they need more people, I guess.

The Marine corps still has it best body; No idea on Navy

Mar 12, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hjpan
    I know for a fact that Air Force is lenient on physical fitness. It's more of body type.

For the other branches, training is same except Army is a bit lenient because they need more people, I guess.

The Marine corps still has it best body; No idea on Navy
    I some what agree. No matter what MOC you are. You are always still a solder first. That's why everyone does basic training. Just a thought

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Orthodox Jews and Physical Fitness [ 9 Answers ]

Is there some reason in Jewish religious books that prohibits male Orthodox Jews from participating in promoting their physical fitness--sports, exercise, walking, whatever?? Is it against their God's law?

I got married to a military guy, and we got military housing [ 6 Answers ]

MY husband and I became eligible for base housing and took it, because the only time we would move in was that day. In my old apartment lease there is a military clause. However I got the apartment before I became married, and my husband is not on the lease. My landlord is saying that the military...

Everything you've ever wanted to know about fitness. [ 7 Answers ]

... will not be found here. However, I HAVE compiled the emails that I received, all the comments I get from old clients, and the responses that I've gotten on this and few other forums, and here are some of the answers I'll be providing in the book I'm writing: Actually, these are things...

Questions about fitness [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I been working out hard for the past while I used to weigh 151 and I put on 171 like I pretty big now but I just want to know how I can get more defiend I want a six pack and stuff hahah not only to look better but just to feel better all around could u tell me the best weighs to define.. I...

Adapted Fitness? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello group I've recently myself in a wheelchair. Any ideas on how to get a good workout at home? Can't afford a health club and most equipment I had or used you sort of have to stand up. Thanks for any ideas.

View more questions Search