Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sabsiva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 07:35 AM
    How can I share my scanner within LAN?
    It is an internet café I need to share my scanner [umax] through the server there are 6 computers connected in LAN. Already my printer I shared and it s working.
    We use os win xp.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Unless the scanner is designed as networkable, you can't. You can set up the scanner on a PC and then save the scanned images to a certain shared directory.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 09:12 AM
    You can, by purchasing a USB server. Keyspan | Products | USB Products

They have 2 port/4 device servers and 4 port / 8 device servers. Certain phsical devices like a printer/fax have a single port, but count as 2 devices.

These will share USB disk drives, scanners and serial devices, but not streaming devices such as video or audio.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2008, 09:21 AM
    I'm not sure that device will work with scanners, but it may. However, for $199 you can get an HP 6280 All in One, printer, scanner, copier that has ethernet connectivity built in to allow you to share the scanner as well as the printer.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 09:33 AM
    I have two possible answers -- check them out and see what you think

1. My experience is that scanning across a network is more trouble than its worth but check out this site:

Networking Scanners, PC

2. I got my hands on the VistaScan updated software...
    The Network scanner works great... exactly what I was looking for. I can't remember seeing the network options on the older version of VistaScan. My Umax SCSI Astra 1200s scanner is at least 4 years old and still scans beautifully.

Being able to scan from a remote computer is very convenient... when working on projects I can have someone near the scanner changing documents while I do the scanning remotely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I share my Scanner? [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone help me in shareing my scanner on lan for others to use from their PC??

Share scanner on network [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all... Tell me that how can I share my scanner which is connected with one of my 5 pc's on Lan. I wants to share scanner for other users can access that scanner while the actual pc/pc user is busy in other work. If in this case any other want to scan the document then they can make...

Lan To Lan Internet Sharing Help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Tnx for reading.. hope you can help me.. here is my question with all the information I can think.. I have 2 computers I'm using windows XP SP2 I don't have any router or switch My 1st computer have an internet connection with 2 lancards My 2nd computer have no internet connection with...

I want to share my scanner on lan [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all... Please tell me that how can I share my scanner which is connected with one of my 5 pc's on Lan. I wants to share scanner for other users can access that scanner while the actual pc/pc user is busy in other work. If in this case any other want to scan the document then they can...

View more questions Search