Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    basksun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Wife (H4) was not in the US 2007, can we file jointly?
    I was on H1B visa in 2007, previously was on F1 visa from 2002-2006. My wife and I got married in Dec 2007 in China. She came to the US on H4 visa in Jan 2008. She was not physically in the US in 2007. Can we file jointly for 2007? Thanks for you help! -Jun
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Jan 31, 2008, 08:50 AM
    I think you can apply for a joint one.

But you can ask someone who is into this, or some official. I hope they will assist you properly.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 10:55 PM
    You are a resident alien for 2007. You CAN file jointly with your wife.
    basksun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Thanks for your reply! Just want to make it clear, I was on F1 from 2002 to Sep 2007, then switched to H1B in Oct 2007. Because 2007 was my 6th year in the US, I should be not exempt form residency even I was still on F1 between Jan 2007 to Sep 2007. Based on my understanding those days count in the substantial presence test, and I will pass the test. Am I right? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    You are a resident alien for 2007. You CAN file jointly with your wife.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Right!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married file eturns jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am On L1 visa during 2007 have SSN. My Spouse is in india and do not plan to join me but she has SSN which she has got during her last visit. Will we be able to file returns jointly. She is working in india do we need to show her income when filling returns. Thanks Ramesh

Married filing jointly for 2006 spouse arrived on Jan 2007 no itin 2 state filings [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on H1 since Nov05. In 2006, I had 2 life events: Marriage & Moving I have the following questions: 1. I got married in Dec2006. My spouse arrived in Jan07 & is a homemaker after marriage. Do I file as Married filing jointly or Married filing separately? 2. I have 2 State...

Can J1 and J2 file jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in J1 status and my husband in J2. He works and has his W-2. According to the treaty between China and US, I don't need to pay any tax. So in this case, can we file Form 1040NR jointly? Thank you for answering my question.

Can F1 and H1 file taxes jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on F1 and my husband was on F1 and now he is on H1. But he has been on H1 only for 4 months. We have never filed taxes jointly. Can we file jointly for the year 2006?

To file jointly or separately? Help needed please [ 1 Answers ]

Need help chosing best filing option for my wife and I. We live in NJ, I work in NYC, wife works in NJ. Is it better to file jointly or separately? NY taxes on NY income only, but does use total income (wife + mine) for rate base calculations. Wondering which filing options would be best... ...

View more questions Search