Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snow_death Posts: 43, Reputation: 0

Feb 1, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JKF
    Let me try to explain by using your picture. Site A PC1(10.31.8.69) Switch 10.31.8.11
    from there fiber to Core Switch/Router Which has Route tables
    and IP 10.31.8.1, 10.31.7.1 etc.
    Site B has switch 10.31.1.11 and server 10.31.4.38
    I am confused now, can you draw it out?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 1, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Also, still no answer as to type of fiber and what is the distance? And the switch event logs?

I have the distinct pleasure of having some old single mode fiber that does not support GB connections and it is PAINFULLY slow or does not work (depending on length) if you try it. And even if it is Multi-mode, what spec is it and what is the distance?
    JKF Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Fiber is new. Single mode. Working on a diagram but I am having some trouble. I will post when I get it done.

Feb 1, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Also, what are the models of the Switchs/ router This may help us out a lot.

Feb 1, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Fiber is new. Single mode. Working on a diagram but I am having some trouble. I will post when I get it done.
    Good deal :)

Feb 1, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Check with your vendor on your Single Mode fiber as I have not seen one yet that supports GB. You will need to degrade your switch connections down to 100MB.

That is why Multi-mode costs more.

Feb 1, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole
    Check with your vendor on your Single Mode fiber as I have not seen one yet that supports GB. You will need to degrade your switch connections down to 100MB.

That is why Multi-mode costs more.
    Hey Chuck, running 1gb over single mode fiber would show up in the ping, wouldn't it?

Feb 1, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Core is a HP 9300. Site A and B are HP 2848.

Feb 1, 2008, 02:27 PM
    * Four 10/100/1000 ports or mini-GBIC slots for optional fiber connectivity such as Gigabit-SX, -LX, or -LH

Now the question would be is is Single Mode or Multi?
    And get that diagram for me :)

Feb 1, 2008, 02:29 PM
    Single mode from Site A to core (about 2 miles or so). Multimode from Core to Site B (located in same Room).

Feb 1, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Increasing the cache size of the ping using the /l switch would provide some meaningful information. A 32byte default ping size is not that big.

Feb 1, 2008, 03:18 PM
    I just did some updating of my Fiber Optics knowledge. It looks like the newer Single Mode fibers are the way to go.

Feb 1, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow_death
    good deal, hey look at your PM chuck
    Did. Back at you.

Hey, JKF, I am out of here in 15 but will be back on Sunday PM or Monday AM. Good luck buddy and look forward to your updates. This is a good one. :confused: ;)

Feb 4, 2008, 10:47 AM
    JKF,
    How are you coming along on your diagram?
    Do you have Visio?

Feb 4, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Having trouble getting it sized correctly to post.

Feb 4, 2008, 11:48 AM
    I have attached a .zip file that should have a jpg image of what I am trying to explain.

Feb 4, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Do you have a link or something to the zip?

Feb 4, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Attached .pdf. Did not look like the zip file went.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 72.pdf (21.7 KB, 231 views)

Feb 4, 2008, 04:53 PM
    I see a backup connection to the Internet. How is that connected. Do you have two ISP connections? Do you have two routers? Is this a single ISP and router with a connection to each switch?

If this is the same ISP and router, then do you have Spanning Tree Protocol enabled on your switches? Did you assign a cost metric to each leg with the backup connection receiving the higher cost metric?

Have you logged on to your switches and looked at the event logs? Be sure and go to the last page for the latest information. Any STP errors?

Feb 5, 2008, 07:08 AM
    No backup connection to ISP. It is backup to our core switch. Normally Wireless connection is left powered down and olny used (powered up) if the fiber connection goes down. So we did not set up spanning tree. From our core we link to firewall and then ISP. Event logs on switches don't show any errors, collisions, nothing that looks out of the norm. No high packet counts on any specific ports.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Network [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have 80 computers in Ethernet network which consist of two logical LAN's. LAN1 is 192.18.1.0/24 consist of 75 PC's and LAN2 169.254.165.0 consist of 5 computers. But now some times my network is getting very slow. And after restarting network switch it is becoming normal. Is this...

Slow Network Connection [ 1 Answers ]

I need help in determining why my network connection has slowed after being added to a new domain. This is a concern because there are approximately 50 other computers linked to this new domain with no problems. The problem occurred when our system administrator had swapped one win 2000 server out...

Slow logon when network cable plugged [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I seem to be having a problem with my logon speed. I have 2 ethernet cards in both of my PCs. I use one card on each PC to connect to the internet via a router, and this setup is fine. But I recently connected my PCs together using the other ethernet cards and a crossover cable. ...

Slow network [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir or madam I have a network with win nt4 server and 30 win 2000 clientes ,my problem is :sometimes my network becomes very slow even the clients work localy I mean (they work on their own PC with graphic applicationes such as corel draw and photo shope and their hard disk) and do not...

View more questions Search