Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JKF Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 06:19 AM
    PC Slow on one network segment
    Ok. I have 2 PC's that at one location called site A are running very slow but when I bring them to site b they speed up considerably. Site A and B are connected via Gig Fiber. I also changed the connection type to wireless but it made no diffrence. I replaced the switch at site a. Still no change. Disabled every other device on the switch at site A except one PC and the fiber connection to site B. No change. I am running out of things to replace. No spyware or virues on PC's either. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    Snow_death Posts: 43, Reputation: 0

Jan 31, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JKF
    Ok. I have 2 PC's that at one location called site A are running very slow but when I bring them to site b they speed up considerably. Site A and B are connected via Gig Fiber. I also changed the connection type to wireless but it made no diffrence. I replaced the switch at site a. Still no change. Disabled every other device on the switch at site A except one pc and the fiber connection to site B. No change. I am running out of things to replace. No spyware or virues on PC's either. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    You're segmenting with a switch? Is it a layer 3 switch or a router?
    Are they are on the same network?
    Same Subnetmask?
    What are the ips of router/switch a and b
    Copy and paste ipconfig/all from one machine on the A network and one on the B network.

Thank!

Feb 1, 2008, 09:22 AM
    They are on the Same network, IP of Client is 10.31.8.5 Mask 255.255.255.0 Gate 10.31.8.1. Server is 10.31.4.5 Mask 255.255.255.0 THe only router is our core router at the servers location. Took the client PC to another location and it works fine from there. Tried 2 different routes, one fiber one wireless but both have same result. Replaced switch at client location still no change. Bypassed swith altogether at client location, no change.

Feb 1, 2008, 09:30 AM
    They are on the Same network, IP of Client is 10.31.8.5 Mask 255.255.255.0 Gate 10.31.8.1. Server is 10.31.4.5 Mask 255.255.255.0 THe only router is our core router at the servers location. Took the client pc to another location and it works fine from there. Tried 2 different routes, one fiber one wireless but both have same result. Replaced switch at client location still no change. Bypassed swith altogether at client location, no change.
    When you login to the switch and do a tracert, and ping, what are the results?

Feb 1, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Pings & tracert are good and with quick responses from both the switch and PC.

Feb 1, 2008, 10:08 AM
    What is "running slow"

Feb 1, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Running applications from the server. One in particular opens in 10 sec at every other location but at that site it takes 3 min. Browsing and opening files on multiple servers is not as fast as at other locations.

Feb 1, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Copy and paste the tracert to me from the 3minute machine to the Server

Feb 1, 2008, 10:31 AM
    I will have to get out to that location so it will take some time. But every tracert I ran went like this. 2 hops. First 10.31.1.1 ( our core router) Second was the server. Responses were 5-8 ms.

Feb 1, 2008, 11:43 AM
    I will have to get out to that location so it will take some time. But every tracert I ran went like this. 2 hops. First 10.31.1.1 ( our core router) Second was the server. Responses were 5-8 ms.
    It never hit the switch?

Feb 1, 2008, 12:06 PM
    Passes through the switch. Switched network not routed network.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 1, 2008, 12:19 PM
    They are on the Same network, IP of Client is 10.31.8.5 Mask 255.255.255.0 Gate 10.31.8.1. Server is 10.31.4.5 Mask 255.255.255.0 THe only router is our core router at the servers location. Took the client pc to another location and it works fine from there. Tried 2 different routes, one fiber one wireless but both have same result. Replaced switch at client location still no change. Bypassed swith altogether at client location, no change.
    I have a few questions for you as well. You said that the locations are connected via fiber. How far apart are they? Is the fiber multi-mode or single mode? If it is multi-mode, then it will support GB connections however 50/125 fiber is preferred over 62.5/125 for longer distances (2000 meters vs. 700 meters). Is it owned buy you or is it leased?

Where are your routers (10.31.8.1 and 10.31.4.5) located at? You stated that they are on the same network but they are not. Both networks are Class C's so they have different network ID's.

The Client is 10.31.4.0 and the server is 10.31.8.0.

As to the switches, the previous posts have some good questions for you. What type are they? Are they managed switches? Are you using VLAN's?

Feb 1, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Passes thru the switch. Switched network not routed network.
    Every network I have ever Configured that was segmented had a switch or a router

Feb 1, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole
    I have a few questions for you as well. You said that the locations are connected via fiber. How far apart are they? Is the fiber multi-mode or single mode? If it is multi-mode, then it will support GB connections however 50/125 fiber is preferred over 62.5/125 for longer distances (2000 meters vs. 700 meters). Is it owned buy you or is it leased?

Where are your routers (10.31.8.1 and 10.31.4.5) located at? You stated that they are on the same network but they are not. Both networks are Class A's so they have different network ID's.

The Client is 10.31.4.0 and the server is 10.31.8.0.

As to the switches, the previous posts have some good questions for you. What type are they? Are they managed switches? Are you using VLAN's?
    :) but using a Class C subnet

Feb 1, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow_death
    Every network I have ever Configured that was segmented had a switch or a router

[INTERNET]
    Site A | Site B
    CORE
    PC 1 PC 2 Server 1 ROUTER PC 1 PC 2 SERVER1 SERVER2
    8.5 8.4 8.10 / | 4.5 4.6 4.10 4.11
    | | | / | | | | |
    ------------------------ / \ ---------------------------------
    | / \ |
    SWITCH A ------------/ \ SWITCH B
    10.1.8.1 \------10.1.4.1

Exactly!
    Either you are routing via a router or through VLAN's in your switch. You have configured your server and your client on two separate network ID's. Your "Core" router would have to be aware of both networks with a route table and it would have an IP address visible on both networks.

Feb 1, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow_death
    :) but using a Class C subnet
    Yes, typo on my part. I am so used to seeing the 10. Networks as a Class A.

Feb 1, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Hehe :)

Feb 1, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Can you capture and post a Tracert from your client PC to your server?

Have you checked the Event Logs on your switches for errors? Can you check the Port statistics to see if there are any drops or errors? Is Spanning Tree Protocol enabled in your switches and do you see any STP errors?

Feb 1, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole
    Can you capture and post a Tracert from your client PC to your server?

Have you checked the Event Logs on your switches for errors? Can you check the Port statistics to see if there are any drops or errors? Is Spanning Tree Protocol enabled in your switches and do you see any STP errors?

I asked him to do that a while back but he said he'd have to go onsite so I am guessing he's doing so... or maybe on another service call?

Feb 1, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Let me try to explain by using your picture. Site A PC1(10.31.8.69) Switch 10.31.8.11
    From there fiber to Core Switch/Router Which has Route tables
    And IP 10.31.8.1, 10.31.7.1 etc.
    Site B has switch 10.31.1.11 and server 10.31.4.38

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Network [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have 80 computers in Ethernet network which consist of two logical LAN's. LAN1 is 192.18.1.0/24 consist of 75 PC's and LAN2 169.254.165.0 consist of 5 computers. But now some times my network is getting very slow. And after restarting network switch it is becoming normal. Is this...

Slow Network Connection [ 1 Answers ]

I need help in determining why my network connection has slowed after being added to a new domain. This is a concern because there are approximately 50 other computers linked to this new domain with no problems. The problem occurred when our system administrator had swapped one win 2000 server out...

Slow logon when network cable plugged [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I seem to be having a problem with my logon speed. I have 2 ethernet cards in both of my PCs. I use one card on each PC to connect to the internet via a router, and this setup is fine. But I recently connected my PCs together using the other ethernet cards and a crossover cable. ...

Slow network [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir or madam I have a network with win nt4 server and 30 win 2000 clientes ,my problem is :sometimes my network becomes very slow even the clients work localy I mean (they work on their own PC with graphic applicationes such as corel draw and photo shope and their hard disk) and do not...

View more questions Search