Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gschulke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 07:13 PM
    New Kitchen Sink Plumbing
    I have replaced our kitchen cabinets and now will put in a new sink. The new sink has the drains in different places (farther apart and close to the back wall) than the one we replaced. Can I put a 90 elbow coming directly out of the wall to drain directly into 1 drain, or should I try and accomplish the new plumbing by a T between both drains? Is there a better/worse option?

~Greg
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Go with the Tee, kitchen drains do not like 90 degree bends if you can avoid them.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 10:19 PM
    Is this a double sink? If so the pipes attached to the sink drains should point toward each and be connected with a tee. This tee does not necessiarly have to be in the center between the sinks.The pipe out of the tee should connect to the trap. The trap can be position in any direction to start toward the wall. In other words as you look at it from the front, the trap can be turned sideways to align with the drain. The pipe out of the trap should point toward the wall drain. A 45 degree or 22 1/2 degree ell can be put on wall drain, to look at trap, but a 90 degree should not be required.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 31, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Is this a double sink? If so the pipes attached to the sink drains should point toward each and be connected with a tee. This tee does not necessiarly have to be in the center between the sinks.The pipe out of the tee should connect to the trap. The trap can be position in any direction to start toward the wall. In other words as you look at it from the front, the trap can be turned sideways to align with the drain. The pipe out of the trap should point toward the wall drain. A 45 degree or 22 1/2 degree ell can be put on wall drain, to look at trap, but a 90 degree should not be required.
    I'm with Herald on this. What he's proposing is a continuous waste,(see image). The image I put up is a center outlet but there are others we use that are end outlets. It all depends on where the stub out comes out of the wall. DO NOT install a 90 degree elbo or a horizontal tee on horizontal drain line as they generate clogs. If you have to use a bend use a 45. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New kitchen sink - not enough room for plumbing now [ 4 Answers ]

I got a new kitchen sink and granite countertops today. I went to go figure out what I would need to get in order to hook the sink back up to the drain, etc - not thinking would be a big deal. Hopefully can explain what my issue is clearly. I have pvc drain pipe coming out of the wall that...

Kitchen sink plumbing/vent problem [ 6 Answers ]

good morning to all! I have a question that I hope someone can answer.I have an older modular home that we've decided to upgrade the kitchen in.I'm installing new cabinets and a new sink and also have decided to add a dishwasher next to the sink base cabinet.my problem is that the vent that goes...

Kitchen sink plumbing issue [ 1 Answers ]

I am re-doing my kitchen and am going to replace a stainless steel 7" deep double sink with an under counter mount sink 9" deep double sink. I anticipate a problem with it being too low to properly drain. 9" below the discharge pipe there is a plug (I assume that it's a clean out). Can I use...

Plumbing, Kitchen Sink [ 1 Answers ]

I had water in my kitchen sink last night. This morning my daughter was using the sink, water came out of the faucet, used the sprayer, which sprayed water, and suddenly the water stopped. There is nothing coming through the sprayer or the faucet. Cannot find water leaking anywhere. Tried...

Kitchen Sink w/sprayer hose plumbing diagram [ 1 Answers ]

I need a detailed diagram of how a sprayer hose is connected to the kitchen sink plumbing. I have looked everywhere but can't seem to find one that actually shows the sprayer hose and how is connected to the plumbing under the kitchen sink. I have found several that mention the sprayer hose but...

View more questions Search