Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13sldr Posts: 237, Reputation: 17

Jan 30, 2008, 04:15 PM
    AZ gun laws
    What are some gun laws in Arizona

When I turn 18 I would like to get a 357, 9mm, or a .45

I would like to know, if I can have my gun with me when I drive, because, out here, the streets are rough, and I don't want to take the chance of getting my car jacked or something.

I also ride around with a knife in my car, until I can get a gun. And is it illegal for a 17yo to have with them.

Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 04:19 PM
    You have to be 21 to purchase or carry a gun in Arizona and they have the conceal law.
    They go by

A resident of Arizona
    At least 21 years of age
    Are not a convicted felon in any jurisdiction
    Do not suffer from any mental illness
    Not an illegal alien
    Pass a Department of Public Safety approved firearms safety-training program that meets the minimum DPS requirements

Jan 30, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Oh, well that is out

Thanks anyway
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Hello 13:

If you don't want to conceal your gun, you can strap it right on your hip out in the open. As a matter of fact, WITHOUT a conceal permit, it MUST be visible.

You also don't have to pass any test if you don't want a conceal permit. The other conditions N0 mentioned ARE valid, however.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 02:55 PM
    When I lived in Arizona my husband had a .357 Magnum that he would wear in a holster everywhere he went. There were some places that had "No Handguns Permitted" signs posted and he would have to obey them, but otherwise he went virtually everywhere with it. As long as it is in plain sight at all times it was perfectl legal for him to act like Wyatt Earp all he wanted. Yipppee do dah. Now firing the gun is a totally different ballgame altogether and can get you into some big problems real quick if you should happen to shoot somebody that just happens to walk into your bullet or just firing it off period in the wrong place.

As for the knife you carry in your car. In some states the knife laws are 3" which is Calif., 3" Maryland, 5" Florida. I would suggest that you check out what your area considers legal as you could get yourself into some big trouble carrying a knife that is too long. Leatherman Tools that have knife blades in them are legal as they are not a knife per se but considered a tool instead. I carry a Leatherman and I'm OK with that. Just don't go to the airport with it as they'll confiscate it from you.

You could also have a baseball bat in your car and that would not be considered illegal. You can even walk around with a bat and until you actually commit an illegal act with it the police cannot do anything to you as it is just a ball bat. And don't get any funny ideas about playing Mail Box Baseball either.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Here is a site that gives you info

Handgunlaw.us

There is also a site which appears to be down right now but was good
    www.packing.org
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Handguns cannot be sold to anyone under the age of 21. Doesn't matter what state you are in, that is law.

A person must be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition, and 18 years of age to buy a rifle or shotgun or ammunition, from a retail firearm dealer. (GCA, 1968)
    If you carry a baseball bat, and it is concealed, it is considered a concealed weapon and you could get in trouble for that.

The age of 21 is law for the entire country, not just Arizona.

Jan 31, 2008, 04:35 PM
    So I can buy a shotgun at 18?

And is a knife conisedred a concealed weapon?

And I'm not too sure what concealed means?
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Yes, 13, you can buy a shotgun or rifle at age 18. However, you cannot hunt until you take a Hunter Safety Course.

A concealed weapon is a weapon that is not out in the open for everyone to see. If I carry my .38 in my purse it is concealed. If I carry it in a holster on my belt and my coat covers it, it is a concealed weapon. HOWEVER, if it is visible for all to see, it is NOT concealed.

A knife would be considered concealed as it is usually in a pocket or purse. Also, blade lengths are either legal or illegal. Butterfly knives are illegal. Switchblades with a blade (if I remember correctly) 3 inches or more, are illegal.

Jan 31, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Okay, I was told that if it is shorter than the width of my hand then its legal(which it is) and I have my knife in my center conncile(sp?) is that illegal
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 04:49 PM
    If you have it in your center console, and it cannot be seen, it is concealed and is most likely illegal. But wouldn't get you a felony charge unless the blade length was too long. (Thank O.J. Simpson).

Shorter than the width of your hand is a good rule of thumb, but the feds won't go for that if you know what I mean.

It's been a little while since I worked in our gun shop, I'm a little rusty on the knife laws, but the gun laws, I know all about them.

Jan 31, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Okay thanks

All this helped

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which gun [ 5 Answers ]

What gun would you suggest for a tourney player on a budget of around $500? I'm behind on the new markers since I couldn't play, do to injury. Anyway, I've of some and they are: E-PaintballOutlet RJR (Rat Jr.) Indian Creek Designs Bushmaster 2003 B2K Indian Creek Designs Bushmaster 2003 BKO...

How gun works [ 1 Answers ]

How does gun works?

Gun storage [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited several rifles, pistols, and reloading equipment. My wife immediately made an offer I'm considering. She said if the guns come, she goes! I'd hate to see her go, maybe there gun dealers that store guns for a fee? I live in the middle of Florida and I'm willing to drive.

Gun problems [ 2 Answers ]

My wife loves playing paintball and so do I my question is my wife's gun has messed up the o-ring busted and I replaced it, but air still leaks out.I checked everything twice to see if their was anything else but I can't find anything.does anyone have any clue what's going on.

Tub gun? [ 3 Answers ]

I just got off the phone with a tool rental guy. My tub is draining very slowly. I've tried plunging and a hand snake. Plunging does nothing and the hand snake seems to get stuck about 3 feet into the line. I do not see a drum anywhere. I called asking about an power auger and the guy...

View more questions Search