Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pochse Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Wiring 2 switches to a bathroom fan/light
    I am trying to have my bathroom light/fan operate separtaly, with one switch operating the light and the other operating the fan. The power coming to the switch is 3 wire (black, white, and ground). The wire coming from the light/fan:confused: is 4 wire (black, white, red, and ground). I have 2 single pole switches. How do I run the wires to the switches so that the light works from one switch and the fan works from the other?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 05:17 PM
    This should help -- If you have any more questions please ask

Fan / Light switched separately - power source at switch

The white (neutral) is wirenutted to white wire leading to fan/light -- and ties to 2 whites of the fan and the light

The black (power) is run to the two switches -- 1 switch carries power to light (red to black) -- 1 switch carries power to fan (black to black)

The green ties to the box or case of your unit -- hope this makes it clear to you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring 3 switches, each controlling a separate light [ 8 Answers ]

Where can I find a diagram to show how to wire 3 switches in the same box, each controlling a different light? Thanks. David

Ceiling fan w/ 3way switches for light and 1 way for fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan that has 3 switches that control the light and 1 that controls the fan. I have 4 wires coming into the box for the fan (black, red, white and grnd). The new ceiling fan has a remote that has to 2 lead wires that are supposed to be connected to the source and 4 (2 for...

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

Wiring for multiple light switches [ 3 Answers ]

I have three light switches that control one light fixture. In the past, they all turned the light of and on independently. But recently it depends on where you turn if off. In some cases, it won't turn on at another switch. Someone told me it was the wiring or the switches. Nobody has changed...

Bathroom light + extractor fan wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to replace the light fitting in the bathroom, but the extractor fan is connected to it, there is a number of wires which are all connected, with only 2 brown wires coming down, but I have 3 connections on my new light fitting -earth, live, neutral, how do I connect it properly?...

View more questions Search