Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    veratech Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2006, 07:16 PM
    Installing noma digital thermostat
    Hi - I am having difficulty replacing my old thermostat with a Noma brand programmable thermostat.

The old thermostat - an old manual mercury type - is connected to 5 wires labelled on the circuit board as G, R, Y, W, and 4. it looks very much like the model shown on this website:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-thermostat3.htm

The new thermostat, however, has only 4 connection terminals, labeled G, R, Y, and W.

After connecting the ones that match, I'm not certain what to do with the "4" wire. My furnace doesn't work if I leave it unconnected. I am thinking of connecting it also to the R wire. Is that correct?

Thank you kindly.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2006, 09:52 PM
    Likely not. The red wire connects directly to one terminal of the 24 volt transformer. You are just going to have to figure out what the ''4'' terminal did and how to make the new thermostat also do that function. There are some thermostat/furnaces that require the thermostat to activate the blower. If the gas is coming on, but the blower never does and the gas goes off again, that could be the problem. You might try the Fan on and A/C positions of the thermostat and see if they function without the 4. There may be instructions on the furnace or inside it explaining the function of the 4.

Jan 15, 2006, 07:08 AM
    Thank you, labman.

Jan 16, 2006, 09:16 PM
    It works!
    It turns out that connecting R and 4 together to the same terminal did the trick. I'm happy.
    reform Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 06:43 PM
    New prog. Thermostat has 2 black wires. Old thermostat has 4 wires 2 red 2 black .how to connect?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting Thermostat Old to Digital [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to convert an old thermostat to a new one? 7 whire harness with colors, Orange (O), Yellow (Y), Black (X2), White (W or U), Red (R), Brown (T), Green (G). New has S1, S2, RC, R, O/B, Y, G, C

Noma Programmable thermostat [ 14 Answers ]

I have tried to replace a conventional lever action mercury thermostat with a new digital programmable Noma thermostat. The AC works fine but when I turn on the heat, the AC come on then too and not the heat. I have no heat. This was the wiring for the original thermostat: Orange -> Y Red ->...

Noma thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a NOMA Programmable 7-Day Thermostat, but today it seems to have gone strange. I had it on the Cool and heat started coming out of the vents. I thought the air conditioning was broken, so I turned the thermostat off, but a little while later the vent came on with hot air again? How...

Noma Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed two Noma non-programmable thermostats in my bedroom. On controls the heat and the other controls the AC. My question is, why are the displayed temperatures different on each thermostat? They are literally 2 inches apart and the indicated temp on one is 1.2 degrees higher than on...

I think I shorted contact wires for digital thermostat while installing. [ 3 Answers ]

Actually, I know I shorted it! I was installing a ritetemp therostat. C-Blue G-Green Y-Yellow W-White R-Red It seemed pretty straight forward.

View more questions Search