Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 14, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Sata Drive won't work
    I can't get my Western Digital 200 gig sata to work,

I have an Asus A7n8X-E Deluxe Mobo,
    which has 2 sata connectors on board, the manual is of no use.

I want this Drive as a backup to my main IDE drive or which I have 2 on IDE.

I try pluggin the Sata into both connectors, it won't get recognized on either.

Is their something else I must do, and in my Bios, does it have to be set to Scsi or the other setting, I read somewhere that it makes a difference.

I need some step by step help, I know computers, but this is baffling me.

Please help anyone, :(
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Jan 14, 2006, 06:23 PM
    What Operating System do you have?

Some older ones do not recognize HDD with over 137 GB...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Weird, I look at the specs here (http://www.hothardware.com/viewartic...eid=56&catid=3) and don't see any IDE connectors on the board. How did you get those drives to work?

Jan 14, 2006, 07:41 PM
    Odd
    That is funny that all that site you posted mentions about IDe is the IDe led connector and that it includes and IDe cable.

Guess that show that's not a good site for specs,

It has 2 spots for 2 IDe cables on the MOBO, for up to 4 drives, that's where I have 2 Hard dries and a Dvd and CD rom connected.

ITs Winxp PRo Sp1, with an Amd Athlon 2500 and 1 Gig of memory and my 2 ide drives are an 80 and 250 gig, so it is recognizing large capacity, it just won't see my Sata, does it matter which Sata connector on the Mobo I connect to, and if I do where would it tell me that its recognized,
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 15, 2006, 03:32 AM
    Have you ensured that the SATA connections are enabled in the CMOS/BIOS ?

As it sounds like they aren't ;)
    Sorry but that's about as much as I can suggest as I haven't used SATA drives as yet, still stuck in the SCSI world.

Jan 15, 2006, 03:25 PM
    Not sure
    I seen nothing in the Bios to suggest anywhere to enable or disable Sata,
    And Asus has a terrible website for help on the Sata subject, I have yet to use Sata also, it's a new technology yet it can be so hard to setup.
    _keith_ Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 03:29 PM
    Possible need drivers?
    Hi Wendy

(I also have not tried to install SATA HD) but when I bought my new mobo, with it came a floppy, with drivers for SATA HD's, possibly you need drivers to activate the SATA HD. You can probably get drivers for Mobo for SATA HD from their site if you weren't supplied with a floppy.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jan 21, 2006, 12:20 PM
    I've installed a SATA drive and, as Curlyben says, you can disable/enable the motherboard to detect them. Also on the one that I used, there was an IDE/scsi setting (or something like that) that I had to change to IDE in order for the drive to be recognised by WinXP setup, otherwise I would have had to load the separate drivers as Keith suggested.
    Have you connected the power lead to the drive as well?

Jan 21, 2006, 09:57 PM
    Thanks
    I will take all the suggestions and write everything down, and go through the process again, to make sure I cover everything while trying to install my Sata as a backup.
    vant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2006, 07:34 PM
    Hi Wendy, have you managed to get your SATA drive working yet or are you still having the 'opportunity'? I also have an Asus A7n8X-E Deluxe Mobo but with Maxtor 160GB drives. I managed to get the SATA drive working but I am trying to duplicate this so that I can give you a step by step guide if you still need it.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Feb 23, 2006, 11:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy225
    I seen nothing in the Bios to suggest anywhere to enable or disable Sata,
    and Asus has a terrible website for help on the Sata subject, I have yet to use Sata also, it's a new technology yet it can be so hard to setup.
    On this motherboard the SATA is enabled via a jumper not the BIOS. If you look closely at the MB where the two side by side SATA connectors are located and go straight up (from the sata on the left) towards the memory, you'll see a jumper labeled SATA_EN1. It should be shorting pins 1 and 2. If it is on 2 and 3 then SATA is disabled.

Also, you have an Integrated Silicon Image Controller. You will notice that as soon as you go past the initial BIOS screen you have the option of pressing either F4 or CTRL-S. That will get you into the SATA RAID controller BIOS. You should then be able to add/configure your new SATA drive.

Also, don't forget to download the SI Controller drivers from the ASUS site. The latest is version 1.0.0.55.

Goodluck

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SATA Drive only shows 127gb out of 250 gb [ 11 Answers ]

I just purchased a seagate 7200 rpm 250 gb hard drive. When I go to <START>,<MY COMPUTER>,<LOCAL DISK> and check the properties of my hard drive it says 127 GB. I went to the seagate website and I have tried everything they suggested but it still shows 127 GB. I did not make another partition...

Sata cannot boot when IDE is present [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a problem with my new sata HDD. I install the winxp sp2 into the sata (with F6 etc for the raid). Everything are working normaly, but when I'm trying to install an ide HDD the sata is not appearing and is trying to boot from the ide. The bios doesn't see at all the sata hdd. My...

Sata problems [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a new computer system: sapphire pure crossfire advantage mobo AMD athlon 3800+ skt939 radeon X850XT PE Maxtor 250gb sata hdd The problem I am having is that I can't install windows onto the sats hdd. When I get to the windows XP install screen it says that "windows cannot be...

300gb Sata Hd Crash! Please God Help Me [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 300GB SATA hard drive that I have about 150 GB worth of data on. It is not my primary drive, I am running xp pro on a SATA 75GB raptor. Today while trying to access some files on the 300gb drive a folder suddenly showed empty. It didn't make any sense and quickly thereafter my computer...

Sata Raid [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Looking for a laymans explanation of SATA RAID and why it would be good to have in a Hi end DAW PC. Thanks Stu

View more questions Search