Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jan 30, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Mortgage Interest Deduction If Not On Note
    I have friends: A, B and C. Friend A bought a home for each friend B and C, with a non occupant mortgage on each property. The purpose was to help B and C achieve home ownership with the understanding that within 5 years, B & C would each secure a mortgage and cash out the 20% down payment that A made on each property. B & C write a check each month to A for the exact amount of the house payments, and A pays the mortgages, to insure that thy are paid on time. A does not show the properties on his taxes, nor does he take any deduction for interest or property taxes. B claims that he has availed himself of these deductions, been audited by IRS and been given a green light. C, on my advice, and that of his tax person is not doing this. My understanding of the IRS tax code is that if the taxpayer is not legaly obligated on the mortgage, he cannot take the interest deduction; and the same would be true for the property taxes. Am I giving my friend C bad advice?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 01:25 PM
    No, your advice is accurate for C.

The IRS audit on B was bungled, because they never noticed or determined that B did not have the legal obligation to pay and therefore could not LEGALLY claim the deduction.

What you have here is a rental situation. A is the landlord and should be showing these properties as rental properties. His failure to do show does not change the fact that, when B and C buy the houses from him, the sale must be recorded as Business Property sales on Form 4797. Further, the depreciation on the houses must be redacted from the basis when determining the capital gains on the sale, whether A claims the depreciation or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage interest deduction on foreign held mortgages for second homes [ 10 Answers ]

I am a little confused regarding second home mortgage interest on foreign held mortgages. Is the mortgage interest paid on a foreign held mortgage considered a second home with no rental income deductible on US taxes?

Tax Deduction for Foreign Mortgage Interest [ 1 Answers ]

If I borrow money from a foreign lender for a property in the U.S. can I get income tax deduction for the mortgage interest I paid to the foreign bank? Thanks,

Assuming my moms mortgage and getting the interest deduction. [ 2 Answers ]

My mother who is 80 has a home with a terrible mortgage. I want to pay down the loan from 295K to 60K or make a 235K payment. I want to refinance the terms on the remainder (60K) and place my name with hers on the loan. Basically assume the loan and make the payments, with both parties...

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Sold Home [ 1 Answers ]

We sold our home in 2005 moved bought a new home. Can I deduct the mortgage interest on the sold up until the date we sold? Thanks

View more questions Search