Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Webhosting Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 05:21 PM
    Force Browser To Cache Pages?
    I am hosting a swf movie on a page but people click a page then return to that page and it reloads etc etc.

Is there anyway I can make it stay in there cache unless they empty it? As most people do it unaware but my bandwidth usage yesterday was over 100mb :eek:
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2006, 06:29 AM
    If the SWF is embedded in a HTML page then it should be cached.

If you are directly linking to the SWF file (using a URL ending in .swf) then I don't think you can.

How are you displaying the SWF? Directly or is it embedded?
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jan 16, 2006, 11:25 AM
    Hi I have the same problem I am on bebo linking to it directly so when someone clicks my profile it reloads. My bandwidth is well over 250mb this week :D

Luckey I have unlimited bandwidth and diskspace:p but my provider has said if it uses "an excessive amount of server resources" I will have to take it down :( depends what they mean by excessive I rekon as soon as it hit 500mb I'm going to have to take it down :( its just a 500mb transfer plan sold as unlimited to get customors I bet you lol

Jan 16, 2006, 02:24 PM
    No I use a proper reseller package but it did say excessive usage it just depends what you class excessive.
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2006, 05:35 AM
    Well just try to avoid linking directly. Link to a HTML page with that file embedded. It's a better option anyway as it makes it ever so slightly more trickier for people to steal your work etc.

Jan 17, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Thanks but I use bebo.com a website where you can chat with your mates. If I link to a html page it won't work as you have a little flash box on your profile and when you update it to a html page it says not allowed. Thanks anyway. I heard something about httpconf or apacheconf is this possible? Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2006, 06:39 AM
    I'm not too sure. Try reading through this and see if it gives you any pointers.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/cache/

Jan 18, 2006, 11:35 AM
    Thanks I will try that later :D

Don't know if I've got time now - off to watch Man Utd (lose against burton! )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

How do I clear my browser cache? [ 2 Answers ]

How I clear my browser cache? I'm a newbie.

DNS update cache [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I have a small test lab set up for my network which is made up by a couple of servers and desktops. I used to use the private IP address range of 192 etc but because my broandband router also uses this private address range and acts a dhcp server I decided to switch my testlab network to...

Hard drive cache [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: can anybody tell me what the difference is in a 2mb and 8mb cache on a hard drive , and what is the best 1 to have, thanks.

Cache memory [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything like software cache memory, how does this works? I have searched many sites but found that it is memory buffer.. I am confused, hardware cache memory is on motherboard or processor, but what about software cache memory Please Help

View more questions Search