Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Jan 13, 2007, 04:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Hey Everyone.

I asked Rick to re-open this post because I wish to add something.

My law professor was talking to the class about some of the differences between the Canadians and US systems.

One of the points he made was how here in Canada, the Supreme Court of Canada has capped pain and suffering to about $350,000 whereas in the US, there is no cap.

He then when into a little political speech about how most Canadians don’t seem to know this and/or care about it enough to get the MP’s in Ottawa to pass legislation to change this.

Then he outlined some pros and cons of the cap.

Therefore, that is one big reason out law suits are lower on average. Since you can’t sue for millions in pain and suffering.
    It's funny that your law professor would say something like that, because it is absolutely untrue. The truth of it is that it is a matter of state law, and each state has their own rules. I don't have a lot of experience outside of New York, (there is no P&S cap in NY... thank god) but I have referred cases to other states that have a cap. I recently referred a case to Colorado involving medical malpractice and was disappointed to hear that they had a cap on P&S (I think it was $300,000). The case involved the client contracting HIV through improper handling of needles/bloodwork in a hospital.

This is the kind of case that really breaks your heart. What is the rationale behind capping her recovery at $300,000? Is that what her life is worth? Now as a practical matter, the P&S cap often doesn't come into play as much as you would think, due to a jury sometimes compensating for it by finding increased costs of future medical care, etc. But it is still a big problem. Not to mention the deterrent effect it has in malpractice cases. (ie: IMO a doctor is more likely to treat a patient appropriately if he knows he could lose his home for committing malpractice.)

Even in jurisdictions where there is no cap on P&S, there is a cap. It is called THE COMMON SENSE OF THE TRIAL JUDGE... and/or appellate judge. The thing that nobody tells you when you see these gigantic verdicts in the newspaper is that 90% of them are settled for far less after the verdict, or reduced by the trial judge. Every plaintiff's lawyer's website is full of asterisks that say things like (14 M verdict actually reduced to $750,000 on post trial motion)... etc, etc, etc.

Jan 13, 2007, 04:16 AM
    There are some interesting points here that I will share some insight on.

Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Here, in the US, where you're on your own, medically speaking, and two aspirins in the hospital costs about $150, someone who needs long term care SHOULD get millions, because it's going to cost him MORE than that down the road.
    Tort reform and P&S caps don't effect the amount of awards for past and future medical care. These are often some of the largest components in the biggest cases.(brain damaged babies, paralysis, etc.)

I'm a believer in the jury system. IF independent jurors think some brain damaged kid should get zillions, who am I to disagree with them? Somebody hurt that kid pretty bad, and why shouldn't they pay for it? The government sure ain't gonna.
    I am pretty good at getting the jury system to work FOR ME and my client, but I don't have absolute faith in it. The problem with the jury system is that in my experience it usually comes down to who has a better lawyer, not a better case. I recently had a case that settled immediately after jury selection for $300,000. I was able to interview the jurors afterward (as is common) and they told me that they were leaning in my direction. NOTE: they hadn't even heard opening statements yet! They simply said that it seemed like I cared about the case alt more then the older lawyer I was up against who was just "going through the motions". Now, if I win a case that I should have lost because the jury likes me better then the opposing lawyer... is that justice? I don't know... just throwing it out there.

We are having a big problem with "runaway juries" in certain counties in New York right now. It is nearly impossible for a defendant doctor/landlord etc. to get a fair shake in the Bronx or Brooklyn.

Jan 13, 2007, 04:18 AM
    Hello Scott:

What's worse for society - a company that hurts people? Or some unemployed people from a company that was forced to shut down because it hurt people?

But, I agree with your other statement. The companies DON'T pay for it - the taxpayer eventually does. So, caps on awards are cool, as long as they're accompanied with universal health care. Canada has the right idea.

excon
    It isn't so much taxpayers, as those paying the insurance premiums in a particular field.

Jan 13, 2007, 04:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Well, see that depends on whether the hurt was intentional or not.
    Now you are getting into a difference between punitive and compensatory damages, which I could write about for 4 pages.. lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search