Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaygigs25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Surge of water pressure
    Hello all,
    I have a new submerisble pump that is in a dug well. The pump was just replaced and seems to run fine. However, I have been experiencing a surge of water pressure from a solid steady flow to almost a trickle anytime that any water is used, showers, toilets or sinks. I feel like it something to do with the pressure in the holding tank. Any Advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks. J
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Sounds like your tank is waterlogged, meaning there is no longer any air in it. A pressure tank is designed to be about half water, half air. The air compresses as water is added, thus building pressure. Most tanks have a flexible "bladder" in them to make sure the air volume stays constant. Sounds like yours has ruptured, allowing the air to gradually be dissolved into the water. Thus, the tank is full of water. You can find out by pressing the air valve at the top of the tank. If water comes out, then the bladder is a goner. You can also tap the side of the tank with a screwdriver handle. Start at the bottom and work your way up. When the tone changes, you've hit air. Thankfully, pressure tanks are fairly easy to replace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brief surge in water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Lately, when I turn any faucet in my home, there is a brief surge in water pressure that dissipates to a normal flow of water from the faucet after about 1 second. If I close the faucet, wait a few seconds, and then re-open the faucet, the surge does not occur. However, if I wait a few...

House water pressure from well losing pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I have a well at my home that provides the primary water . I have replaced the well pump with a new one, the pressure tank was bad replaced it, pressure switch was bad replaced it. Now I cannot maintain pressure through out my house. The initial pressure is good for about 10 seconds then it slowly...

Initial surge in water pressure? [ 1 Answers ]

Earlier this week the plumber came to fix the toilets in our house. He did a minor rebuild on two of them (not sure this has anything to do with our problem, but it started as soon as the plumber left). While he was here, he measured the water pressure and told us it was 80psi (same as we'd been...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

Toilet water surge [ 2 Answers ]

Randomly through the day our toilet makes this 30 second water surging sound.  When I look in the toilet bowl I see ripples of water thinking it is new water coming in. What can we do?

View more questions Search