Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jvose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Usefulness of cistern as a heat sink
    I am working on a project to provide chilled water to a process application. In the summer months a chiller will be used. In the winter time an existing 14,000gal cistern could provide the chilled water. What is the temperature of water stored underground in New York State? As the process progresses through 2 shifts (16hr) the exchanged process heat to the cistern will disipate through the concrete walls to the earth. How would you calculate this heat transfer?

What is the temperature of the earth below the frost line in New York State?
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jan 30, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jvose
    I am working on a project to provide chilled water to a process application. In the summer months a chiller will be used. In the winter time an existing 14,000gal cistern could provide the chilled water. What is the temperature of water stored underground in New York State? As the process progresses thru 2 shifts (16hr) the exchanged process heat to the cistern will disipate thru the concrete walls to the earth. How would you calculate this heat transfer?

What is the temperature of the earth below the frost line in New York State?
    I couldnot answer your question, but here are some other considerations; don't you think the water needs some kind of chemical treatment, if treated it could not store in bare concrete wall... not sure if your idea going to work, because the surface contact area is too small... you could have a plate heat exchange working with your water tower in the winter

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cistern not filling [ 4 Answers ]

I have a push button toilet, and the cistern has stopped filling. Water is entering the cistern, though slowly. I filled it with a bucket, and 5 minutes later it was empty, so I think it's not holding the water, it's trickling down into the toilet. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

Plugged up Cistern? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with a precast cistern that was installed in 1979 that seems to be plugged up. I removed all the dirt from the top and located the square opening to gain entry. It was about half full so I decided to be a brave soul and went in. There was about one inch of really fine silt in the...

WC cistern will not fill [ 1 Answers ]

2 years ago we had a new toilet fitted, within those years we've had 1 new cistern installed because the it would not fill and it's happened again. It's a low fitted. As anyone any idea what causes this and how to "fix it" Thanks

Smell from bathroom sink drain and air flow while central forced heat is on [ 1 Answers ]

In the 1st floor slab bathroom, hissing air comes out of the sink drain whenever the central heat comes on. In addition, the air that comes out, of course smelly like sewage. Now, I know I can do the bleach procedure, but what I don't get is why the air is flowing. There is a p trap in place,...

View more questions Search