Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Webhosting Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 03:01 PM
    Friendship questions
    Hi before I start I will say that I don't know what catogery to put this in because it is a mixture so I put it in here as we are both teens - I am 14 he is 19. Please can a mod/admin whatever move it if its in wrong area.

Basically one of the people at school I get on quite well with - it person - and about a year ago he wanted me to make him a website and be in charge of it host it etc which I have done. Then 3 weeks ago I got a message from the host I have been with for over a year saying they were closing down on 1st march 2006 and I would have to find an alternative host and they would refund me the hosting fee.

So I went on the internet and found a host for a good price £12 a year and I moved to them but the email wouldn't work straight away and I had too wait a day for there tech support to come online - it was late Saturday night - and fix the email. After they fixed it it took a further 2 days for the new MX (email) records to fully resolve round the internet during this time he was like when is my site going to be working, when will I get email, I need my site etc etc and when it worked all he said was thanks.

After that everything was fine and he was OK with me until Wednesday (10th) when the server went off for matienecce and he was being really demanding during that time demanding were the website was why it didn't work etc then it came back up on Tuesday night late. Anyway on Friday during the middle of the day (when I couldn't acces my email or anything to sort it out) the website went down so when I got home I checked and it would work so I brought a new server and the email wouldn't work on that and the site had gone as I had the back on my laptop which is broke and the only other copy was on the server that was down so on the site I put sorry site not avalible due to technical problems and then conntacted support about the email problem and me and tech support were on msn until 1.30am the next morning trying to fix it and he was still asking about his email.

I then received an email this morning from my host company were the server crashed and they say a graphics card blew up and that broke there system and it was the middle of the night (USA) so they had to wait until the store opened the next day to get it fixed so I moved all the sites back to the now working server this morning only for him to only say thanks and can I make sure the site is on a reliable server and I tried to explain that this is not my fault or the webhosting companys fault but he just said he wants it working and that's it.

Now as his site is working he has barly spoken too me since and if I took the server off now I no he will be on wanting to know where his website is and I really want to tell him to manage his own website and just give him control of the domain account and let him do it but I think its sly because he has helped me build a computer - while I was learning, I can do it now - and is really nice too me most of the time its just when things don't go his way he is the opposite. What should I do? Sorry for the long question but if I missed parts out you wouldn't get the full picture.

Thanks
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2006, 04:59 PM
    I am having troubles breathing.

USE WHITE SPACES

What a long gasp there.

Make it into paragraphs!!

Now, on to your question...

It sounds like u don't want to work with him anymore. Don't. Don't say, I feel guilty. This is BUSINESS. Keep personal feelings out. He is a difficult client to deal with and if you don't want to deal with him anymore, give him control and send him on his way.

Don't stick around with him if this is how he treats you.

Jan 14, 2006, 05:06 PM
    Sorry about the paragraphs didn't realise until you said!

It feels sly though because he is going to have to go and buy a new server which will be more expensive - I only charge about £20 per year because I no him and make the money back selling on eBay to other people. I only have to pay 60quid a year and I make well over 100 and that's just in the 1st month - December 05 (yearly payments in advance) so I could leave him on there.

I am going to tell him next time he moans well he is moaning I will be transferring the domain to a separate account (its on my account as I brought it for him) and just send him an email saying that no one else moans they accept that there was a technical error and the site is up 99% of the time (I have even got remote logs to prove it, checks every 30mins) and that he can have control of the domain and stick the username and password on the bottom of the email and then send it too him.

One thing I think might be a problem is that I see him every weekday and I will still fell a bit sly.

Thanks for your advise
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 14, 2006, 05:08 PM
    Deal With It
    If this dude is giving you trouble. All you need to do is say here is your stuff host the site yourself and walk away.

As above this is business and its dog eat dog world! See how long he can deal with it by himself, because I don't think he'd be staying up till am zzzzzzz in the morning chatting on messenger. If you don't want to feel sly I'd offer him a tenner back as part refund.

PS -- as above please use space's
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2006, 05:10 PM
    Your welcome.

And its cool about the paragraphs thing. You should keep it in mind for all future times you post stuff anywhere.

Yeah, keep him on for now. And if he moans again, tell him to stop it or he's on his own. That works.

Jan 14, 2006, 05:12 PM
    Lol sorry for the whitespace and if I done that the website would collapse instantly he doesn't know what to look for he doesn't even know what I'm giving him - 100gb bandwidth 1.5gb space
    He would buy something for £20 with like 100mb space 1.5gb bandwidth but I will tell him next time. I have to do some matenance to the server tomorrow - just rearrange all the accounts - and I wonder what will happen then.

Thanks
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 14, 2006, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhosting
    lol sorry for the whitespace and if i done that the website would collapse instantly he dosnt know what to look for he doesnt even know what im giving him - 100gb bandwith 1.5gb space
    he would buy something for £20 with like 100mb space 1.5gb bandwith but i will tell him next time. i have to do some matenance to the server tomorrow - just rearrange all the accounts - and i wonder what will happen then.

thanks
    LoL well just warn him you will de-host him if he kicks off :D hope it all works out OK for you.

Jan 14, 2006, 05:18 PM
    Yep will do that should keep him quite for a bit also I will tell him all his files will go because when I terminate his account I'm not going to ftp backing up his files to my computer then mailing them to him its just terminate lol
    sweetart_545 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Okay Well I Don't Thinki Am Answering The Question But I Have To Ask This I Was Friends With This Girl For Alwmost Two Yars An We Told Each Other Oeverything And We Never Got Into Fights And We Started To Play Softball Together Then Well She Started To Kind of Come On To Me Like She Liked Me More Then Afriend And Well I Didn't Know Wat To Do But I Luv Her To Death And I Wll Always Have Feeling For Her She Is In My Heart Like We Are Couple But All Of A Sudden Our Friendship Started To Fall Apart Gradually And Then We Stoppped Being Friends And I Don't Know Wat To Do I Can't Do Anything Without Thinking About Her And I Am Practically Lost Without Her And I Reall Want to Be Friends Again Wt Do I Do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friendship Cake [ 6 Answers ]

I have recipe for Friendship Cake but I don't have any starter anymore, Does anyone know how to make it? This is a great cake to give on the holidays. I sure would be thankful! Carol:D

Did I screw Up our friendship? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone, first off I just want to say that I'm really happy that there is a website here that people can ask for advice.. it gives people a different look at things.. whether they take your advice or not.. its good to here someone's opinion.. On with me story I go... My friends...

Sexually Attraction and friendship [ 8 Answers ]

If two people work together (once a week) and are sexually attracted to one another... but one is married can they keep the relationship as friends? One happens to be married the other single, one 20 the other 40. Can the attraction be seen by others viewing them... basically can a man and a woman...

Confusing Friendship/Friends with Benefits [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I posted with an earlier stage of this problem a while ago... but since then, things have gotten more complicated. Overview: this guy and I met over the summer, dated for a little over a month, were extremely close, went back home (we live 5 hours apart), broke up a few weeks after returning...

View more questions Search