Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Jan 30, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Animals in Garbage
    I didn't know where exactly to put this. So I love this area so...
    Anyway. On another area a woman found pills in a bag. So I mentioned to dispose of them 1 being the toilet and 2 taking it to a pharmacist. What I don't understand is. If a few web sites state that you should throw out your pills with you garbage like coffee grounds in a bag or even cat litter that animals will not touch the pills. Now from my experience if you have anything in your garbage animals can get to it. So this would posse a threat to animals. So does anyone have any suggestions on throwing the pills out in the garbage? This is for my interest for animal safety. Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 11:48 AM
    I strongly vote for the toilet. I know of no down side to doing that. If you just have to put them in the garbage, put them in a glass bottle or can with a secure lid. Considering how many reports I have read about dogs eating the feces out of cat litter boxes, I wonder how effective mixing them with cat litter would be? I have also seen dogs with coffee grounds on their muzzle after raiding the garbage. There is a great tendency to pass on untested ideas as facts. The internet is a great trove of disinformation. I have also read suggestions of using citric peels to keep dogs out of stuff. Given a chance, many of my puppies have foraged grapefruit rinds.

Thank you for reminding everybody of such dangers.

Jan 30, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I strongly vote for the toilet. I know of no down side to doing that. If you just have to put them in the garbage, put them in a glass bottle or can with a secure lid. Considering how many reports I have read about dogs eating the feces out of cat litter boxes, I wonder how effective mixing them with cat litter would be? I have also seen dogs with coffee grounds on their muzzle after raiding the garbage. There is a great tendency to pass on untested ideas as facts. The internet is a great trove of disinformation. I have also read suggestions of using citric peels to keep dogs out of stuff. Given a chance, many of my puppies have foraged grapefruit rinds.

Thank you for reminding everybody of such dangers.
    I am with you 100%. How can web site claming that people should do this. It is a compleat out rage. Any more takers on this matter?
    And thank you for your reply.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Labman there are many disadvantages to putting medication down the toilet or sink.
    Here is a previous post I made concerning this.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...tml#post854754
    Although putting medication in the bin is not ideal it is safer than the waterways were they have a chance to poison the environment, animals and ourselves.

If I had to throw medication in the bin I would put it in a closed container than paws can't open (or break). Another thought would to put something completely unpalatable over the pills. Bleach was my first though- although there might be a strong reaction, it might only be safe to do this if you know your chemistry. EDIT just thought about fumes definitely not a good idea!

I'm sure there must be something somewhere that dogs and cats don't eat. Although on the other hand, I have seen a dog eat a rubber band so I wouldn't put any money on it...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Thanks for the gentle correction. I guess I needed updated. Flushing has been the method of choice for a long time. That doesn't mean it ever was a good idea.

That add grease idea has really upset me. I would think it would be a big red flag to any dog owner. Something no dog would eat? Some of them lick up the Bitter Apple spray sold to protect things from them.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 01:13 PM
    I meant throw them away in a secure enough way that the animals wouldn't get into them.
    Sorry if my example wasn't good enough. I didn't mean wrap them in paper with all the kitty litter, and messy type garbage and then toss it on the top of the garbage can where the animals would get to it, but to BURY it in the can with a secure lid. Also I assumed people would throw them away IN the bottle with the cap.

The problem with throwing them in the toilet is some sewage plants are saying that the plant filters are getting clogged up with pills and many of the pills are female estrogens and the filters are not getting the estrogens and other pill ingredients filtered out of the water enough. They are saying that the estrogen is causing males, fish and animals to have estrogen levels that they should not have. That was my point.

But if you are able to take them to the pharmacy that is the best solution. But then they most likely are throwing them in the toilet.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Taking unused meds to a pharmacist for disposal is the only way to go. Any other method has risks to people or animals.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 06:08 AM
    I think you will all find this article interesting. Local News | Finally, a safe, environmental way to get rid of old medicine | Seattle Times Newspaper

Currently, in the U.S. the Federal government's guidelines are as follows:Proper Disposal of Prescription Drugs - Drug Facts - ONDCP
    Of course, it doesn't mean it is the most environmentally conscious way or that it is the best way. I think the pharmacy drop is the best way to deal with it and keep it out of the hands of children, mouths of animals, and poisoning our environment.

Jan 31, 2008, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    I think you will all find this article interesting. Local News | Finally, a safe, environmental way to get rid of old medicine | Seattle Times Newspaper

Currently, in the U.S. the Federal government's guidelines are as follows:Proper Disposal of Prescription Drugs - Drug Facts - ONDCP
    Of course, it doesn't mean it is the most environmentally conscious way or that it is the best way. I think the pharmacy drop is the best way to deal with it and keep it out of the hands of children, mouths of animals, and poisoning our environment.
    This is great information. I truly believed it was less of a matter by flushing the old and unwanted pill down the drain. I will no longer do this what so ever and I would assure you all that I will pass this on to all the people I know as well should you all that read this. This is a big matter that majority of people over look.
    I do on the other hand take my pills to the drug store and give them to the pharmacist for disposal. As should everyone else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What does your animals look like? [ 19 Answers ]

Hey guys I figured I would lighten up the place by asking all of you to put pics up of your dogs. I'm just curious to what kind of animals you all have. Hope to see some pics! http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/sarahbeth26/doodle010.jpg This is my Slider. He is a year old and was...

Farm animals. [ 11 Answers ]

What really did come first, the hen or the egg? And when its alive why do we call it a hen and when we eat it it's chichen?:confused: :D :eek: :rolleyes:

Crying Animals [ 6 Answers ]

Is Man the only animal who cries TEARS for EMOTIONAL feelings?

Animals [ 1 Answers ]

What is an animal that starts with the letter "x"

Animals [ 2 Answers ]

My cat was diagnosed with a lung infection. Does litter box dust or litter box deodorizers cause this problem? She is also having some type of breathing attack. Her breathing is heavy and when she has these attacks she is gasping for breath. The vet prescribed CLAVAMOX. She is an older cat over...

View more questions Search