Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GrahamDiehl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 08:42 AM
    How do you know if you have a stress fracture or just shin splints?
    To Anyone who has a clue about running injuries

Last week I was running an interval workout when my calf began to tighten up. I have had a stress fracture before, but this did not feel anything like that. The pain is purely in the muscel and I do not have any tender spots throughout my tibia bone. I am very confused by what the feeling is because it only hurts when weight is on it. I am able to run, but after a workout it hurts a lot. There is no pain during running, but a lot afterwards. I was running about 70-80 miles a week prior to this pain, and then it was during that one track interval workout where things went crazy.

Any suggestions would be great.

Graham Diehl
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Is it swollen? Bruised? How long has it been going on?
    Sounds like a shin splint, but it's hard to tell. If your really worried go see a doctor (I know not the answer you were looking for).
    If it is shin splints you could try taping your legs. Put one piece of tape vertically on (top of) your shin and then take three other places of tape put one horizontally at the bottom of your shin, one in the middle, and one near the top (make sure they're tight!). And then wrap with pre wrap (sorry I don't know the official name it's kind of thin and gausy, but streachy and almost like foam, we use it in soccer to tie our hair up).
    But I'm not a Dr. so go see one and get an x-ray!
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 12:33 PM
    I think Gernald is right about the DR. I'm recovering right this minute from a DVT in my calf muscle that matched your description of pain, excepted my leg was swollen.
    runrunrunrun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2011, 03:58 PM
    hi. I have been having this pain in my left leg, on the inner side above my ankle but below my gastrocnemius. I do not feel the pain all the time the I walk. I run both cross country and track. I took a week off after school ended and then I began to run again. But after 6 days of running my left leg began to hurt in the area I just described. I have stopped running for a week now and usually no longer feel the pain when I walk. I usually only feel it after I poke the area to test and see if the pain has gone away. But sometimes it will start to randomly hurt. Or it begins to hurt after I jump or land hard at the bottom of the stairs. I am worried I have a stress fracture because this does not feel like shin splints, and is in such a strange specific spot. I do not want to go to the doctor because if it is a stress fracture they will put me in a boot. I cannot be in a boot because this summer I have many active plans and am going on a 5 day 50 mile backpacking trip in the adirondack mountains as well as many other physical activities. How can I get the pain to go away completely? Is it even a stress fracture? What should I do? Should I go to the doctor? I am really freaking out about this and am so worried. One of my friends who had a stress fracture said she is pretty sure I do not have one. But then again she is not a doctor. Please help advise as much as you can. I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stress fracture/bone bruise to 2 bones in my foot [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bad bone bruise or stress fracture to the talus and cuboid bones in my Left foot. Depends on which Dr. I ask one calls it a bruise one calls it a stress fracture. I was hard casted for 3 weeks and in a cam for another week And then back in to a hard cast again now for another 4 weeks....

Lump on my left shin. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have just found a lump on my left shin but on the inside of my leg. What could this be?? I cannot remember bumping my leg anywhere recently however I do play lots of different contact sports. I will of course go see my doctor but I was just wondering if anybody knew what this could...

Preventing Shin Splints [ 5 Answers ]

My avatar might have already given it away, but I like to Irish dance. I stretch, warm up, then stretch again before practicing, but I still get painful shin splints. The area on the inside right along my shin bone hurts really badly after I work out for 30 minutes. I can't seem to isolate...

Hard lump on my daughter's shin [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed a lump about two inches in length on my 12 year old daughter's shin... it is hard to the touch... she says it doesn't hurt... she is not limping, nor is she having difficulty running... I called her doctor, but can not get her in until next week... I know she is worried... and I am...

View more questions Search