Ask
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2006, 12:43 PM
    First Solid Food; Just for fun
    Hi,
    Just for fun.
    According to the Montel Show, TV,:

What is the first solid food most commonly given to children in the United States?

I was surprised! Do you know?
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Jan 14, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Is it candy?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 14, 2006, 01:17 PM
    Fred, I'm going to say french fries. A lot of people give their children french fries to eat as one of their first solid foods. When I have kids in the future, I will make sure that they eat healthy foods. I will probably give them take out food once in a while. :D
    mommaveloso Posts: 22, Reputation: 6

Jan 15, 2006, 02:49 AM
    Just a guess
    Well being that I have 3 kids, and I started all 3 of mine out with rice cereal, I am going to say that is not it... and I agree with prettynpetite1 and say french fries? Don't have cable here in germany, so I don't get to watch the montel show.. miss it a lot.. lol...
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 15, 2006, 04:33 AM
    USA Kids
    :D I'm going to say French Fries !
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2006, 05:47 AM
    First solid food
    Hi,
    According to the show on TV, it's:

Cheerios

Really close, mommaveloso.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 15, 2006, 05:54 AM
    Cheers Cheerios
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    According to the show on TV, it's:

Cheerios

Really close, mommaveloso.
    LOL:D In UK first children's food is normaly baby rice and rusks in a bottle.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 15, 2006, 07:11 AM
    Have no idea
    It's been so long, but I used to give my kid the same as we ate, only put it in the blender first - without spices. Jaime's first real solid was a piece of steak which she chewed without teeth until it was gray, and then gave it back to me. My guess would be mashed potatoes or french-fries too, or maybe a piece of hamburger from McDonald's. I didn't give her cereal because I was scared she'd choak on it, but did give her oatmeal when I had it for breakfast and also eggs - scrambled. Oh, those memories, now I'll get a second chance with a grandchild soon.

Love babies of all types!

Jan 15, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Well at least it is a healthy food, and not the fries like we suspected... lol
    I am glad that more people are turning to whole grain cereals for the first foods, and not the fast food fries. I have never given my babies french fries until they were well over 2 years old. I just don't want them to rely on fast food for a good source of nutrition. Once you give the fries.. the cereal is out the window. {i think} not all kids are the same..
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 15, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommaveloso
    well at least it is a healthy food, and not the fries like we suspected...lol
    i am glad that more people are turning to whole grain cereals for the first foods, and not the fast food fries. i have never given my babies french fries untill they were well over 2 years old. i just dont want them to rely on fast food for a good source of nutrition. once you give the fries.. the cereal is out the window. {i think} not all kids are the same..
    So true, remember those kids who say "I don't eat that" even though they never even tried it? What I did every payday, was to take my daughter to a new place to eat and try a new dish, and when she made that statement, I urged her to at least try it and then if she did not like it she never had to eat it again. This was a ritual that we even enjoy now and she's 29 and still eager to try different things out. Of course, when it comes to liver or chicken and dumplings, she only likes it the way I cook it - that's my girl!

We love healthy surprises.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 15, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Solids
    For the first four to six months,my now five year old son was not allowed,obviously:

1. Nuts and seed foods.
    2. Shellfish.
    3. Exotic or citrus fruits.
    4. Eggs and egg products such as custard.
    5. Cow's milk.
    6. Foods which contain gluten to bulk him out.

Then we just introduced him to "little" amounts of different food,so he could get used to the taste.Even now,we are reluctant to take him into a fast food place,as most of it,in my opinion,is "junk food",and you don't know what's in it.
    Even so,we do relent on many occasions,so in a way,I (we),as parents,have double standards.A good thing however,is that he is not keen on chocalate,or too many sweets.

Jan 15, 2006, 01:01 PM
    I do the same
    :D I do the same as Chery... my 2 older girls are 10 and 8, and they love their veggies, and they like sushi, pasta, brats & krout, calamari, you name it they will eat it.. all because I fed them whatever we were eating. And they rarely eat mcdonalds.. not that we don't like it, but being here in germany, we prefer not to eat at mcdonalds when there are so many wonderful places here to try. So far they love the snitchel and frikadiles... wonderful!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2006, 04:06 PM
    My guess would be spaghetti
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2006, 04:09 PM
    Allright, I stand corrected ; It's Cheerios. Actually that makes sense. They're small and won't get stuck in kids' throats even if swallowed whole, they're easy to chew, can be eaten with fingers and aren't messy.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 16, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommaveloso
    :D I do the same as Chery... my 2 older girls are 10 and 8, and they love their veggies, and they like sushi, pasta, brats & krout, calamari, you name it they will eat it.. all because i fed them whatever we were eating. and they rarely eat mcdonalds.. not that we dont like it, but being here in germany, we prefer not to eat at mcdonalds when there are so many wonderful places here to try. so far they love the snitchel and frikadiles... wonderful!
    You notice that I live in Germany too. I live in Landstuhl - near Ramstein - do they sound familiar? Just seeing the list of the foods you posted is making me hungry - going to get some top-ramen now. Too bad I'm on a special diet of mostly medication right now. I started making my own sushi last year and my b/f really loves it. The trick is to cook the rice with a little rice-vinegar. Have a good one! And enjoy the sauerkraut - it's real healthy - even the juice.

Jan 17, 2006, 05:24 AM
    Real close
    Chery.. I am right around the corner from you.. u are like 10 to 15 min from me. I am in neidermor... so you are real close.. that is awsome. And we love the sourkrout. My girls love every food they have tasted since we been here. You can PM me and I will give you my messenger id if you want to chat..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wet dog food and dry dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should be giving a balance of wet dog food and dry dog food each week and not just dry dog food all the time. He told me that too much dry food can cause constipation. Is this true? Also, which brands are considered low grade dog food?

Solid pvc connection [ 4 Answers ]

I think normally a 3" tee has about an inch and a quarter depth to join with the actual pipe, how much of that would be the minimum I can get away with and still have a good bond?

Solid surface repair [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Avonite top with a chip, 1/4" wide by 1/6" deep. I have the old > sink cut out for repair material and bought a new tube of the original > epoxy. Ideally, I am tiring to find a 3/8" tapered bit with a MATCHING > 3/8" tapered plug cutter. Is there such a thing out there? Where can I...

Solid Peer [ 7 Answers ]

I am new to this site so I hope Iv'e clicked on to the right section, my problem every time I go on the net I am plagued by this pop up "Solid Peer" how do I stop it invading my computer? Thanks Nev Grant

View more questions Search