Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janieg Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2004, 10:25 AM
    Door bell ringer replacement
    I'm replacing just the ringer part of the doorbell (the type of doorbell with a transformer). Should I shut off the electricity when doing this, or since they are low-voltage wires is it OK to install it with the electricity on? Or is this a stupid question ;) The way the electricians wired our house -- I'm thinking I probably should shut off the power. But if I can avoid it, I'd like to.

Janie
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2004, 11:07 AM
    Re: door bell ringer replacement
    It is never stupid to check before working with something that has killed as many people as electricity. I doubt many of them were only working with 24 volts.

You don't need to shut the electricity off, but it wouldn't hurt. You could slip, short the 2 wires together and burn out the transformer. You could also somehow touch the 115V to the transformer.

Depending on what else is on that circuit, it should be easy to just shut off the breaker. How new to the house and DIY are you? If the circuit breakers aren't labeled, it might be a good idea to label them. It might be a good idea to shut down your computer and other electronic things first. More and more of your stuff has battery backups to avoid resetting everything. Maybe replace the batteries first. The bigger ones usually at the top maybe 2 connected together will feed major loads such as air conditioners, stoves, etc. Turn each circuit breaker off, and see what doesn't work. Write it down somewhere. Turn that one on, and turn the next one off. When you are done, you may want to print them out and post it on the lid to the circuit breaker box. Most of them came with number spaces to write things in.

Glad you have your shower drain fixed.

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2004, 11:37 AM
    Re: door bell ringer replacement
    On further thought, the circuit is already broken at the button. You shouldn't have power to the one side unless somebody comes and pressed the button. Even if the transformer is where the ringer is, likely the 115 V side doesn't exposed terminals to touch. Don't worry about it.
    janieg Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2004, 11:54 AM
    Door bell ringer replacement
    Thanks. Our circuits are labeled, so that does help. I noticed on the instructions that came with the ringer that it doesn't say anything about shutting off power and even indicates testing the ringer by touching the wires together.

I'm hoping the shower drain stays fixed. This site is great. I'm sure telling every DYIr I know about it :)

Thanks so much again
    Janie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bell Trap [ 9 Answers ]

Can someone explain what a bell trap is? I have in my older home what I think are metal bell traps. Grate has a bell shaped cup that goes over drain. Is the theory that a small amount of water lays in the drain sealing the bell to drain and sewer smell out, but still allows water to drain off the...

Door Knob in center of front door [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a resource for replacement parts for my specialty front door. The knob is located in the center of the door with a bird theme metal plate surrounding the knob - door is 35 7/8 wide - I would like to replace the knob - the hardware still works fine, I just need a compatible knob....

Basement door replacement [ 2 Answers ]

I need some advice on wooden doors for basement entryways. My home currently has a wooden door for the basement entrance. It has not held up very well. The door is partially below the grade level (roughly 50-50). My understanding is that this contributes to the door aging, as it is more often...

Door Bell Ringer [ 5 Answers ]

I move to this House, and the door bell sound more like a alarm than a door bell( is extremely loud and irritating). The ringer brand is bticino (model 382321 made in Italy). I been looking to change this one to a more easy to listen chime or bell. But everything I found is an external bell box....

View more questions Search