Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ruthnatzel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 05:00 AM
    Stop virus scan in MS Word 2003
    I want to stop MS Word from asking for a virus scan when opening documents. This happens even with documents I have created myself and is really time-consuming. I have read the other posted answers and have set MS Word Macro Security settings to low. I have Norton anti-virus software but cannot locate the menu to disable the scan. Thanks in advance.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 05:11 AM
    From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820:

Disable the Turn on scanning for Microsoft Office Documents option. To do this, follow these steps. Warning This workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.
    1.On the taskbar, right-click the Norton icon, and then click Norton Protection Center.
    2.Depending on which version of Norton you are using, click Norton Antivirus or Norton Internet Security.
    3.Click Settings.
    4.Under Additional Options, click Virus and Spyware Protection Options.
    5.Click Miscellaneous.
    6. Under How to keep Microsoft Office documents protected, click to clear the Turn on scanning for Microsoft Office Documents check box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove Virus Scan on Opening WORD 2003 [ 5 Answers ]

Same question. And... following my use of WORD (2003,) when I close it, it reopens! And reopens, ad nauseum... until I have to use a Ctrl/Alt/Del to finally manually close the program. The next time I attempt to use Word, I am offered the option to open in a Safe Mode. If I select that...

Office 2003 automat virus scan - how to turn off in MS Word [ 1 Answers ]

I have Office 2003 & Norton 2007 security. How do you stop the automatic vius scan every time you open a word document?:

How do you prevent MS Word from requesting a virus scan? [ 8 Answers ]

What I want to know is how to prevent MS Word from making the request in the first place. What registry entry, if there is one, needs to be changed to disable it. Yes, I've read the other posts about Word requesting virus scans and those solutions do not help my set up. I have virus protection...

MS Word & Excel Requesting Virus Scan [ 2 Answers ]

When opening a Word Excel document the message 'requesting virus scan' appears when opening the application then when opening the file the same message again. Instead of a couple of seconds for whole procedure it now takes 11 to 23 seconds. I had made no changes to my computer. Following another...

View more questions Search