Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazyj Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 12:01 PM
    1998 Honda Accord Running Problem
    This problem just started recently. When I start my car, it doesn't have enough power to move. I push the pedal and the engine starts to stall. It never stalls, but it comes close. If I push the gas a little more, it comes back to life and stutters a bit. After about 2-5 minutes of driving the problem goes away until I turn it off for a while. I noiticed that if I tap the gas just before it starts it's "putt putt" problem, I get it going without the put. If I hold the pedal in place, it losed rpm and then it will catch again sometimes. But not before leaving me doing 2 miles an hour in a 35 zone. Somebody told me to change the fuel filter, but my Haynes book doesn't say anything about changing the filter, just says that it could be the cause. Then I went online to buy one from Autozone and they don't even sell the filter. I get a little saying at the bottom that it is part of the fuel assembly. Weird? Anybody have any ideas?
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Jan 14, 2006, 12:42 PM
    How many miles on the car? Automatic transmission or standard?

Jan 14, 2006, 12:47 PM
    137,000... Automatic

Jan 14, 2006, 12:55 PM
    How long since the last tune-up on the car?

Jan 14, 2006, 01:23 PM
    My brother did a tune up on the car about a year ago, changed the spark plugs, all kinds of things. Then he went back to Chicago, he is a mechanic.

Jan 14, 2006, 01:26 PM
    Has the timing belt ever been changed?

Jan 14, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Yes, it was one of those, let's change it while we are there things. I talked to my Father-in-Law, it sounds like it might be the filter, but since it is one of those one's that is inside the gas tank, he said to change the pump too. $600 cha-ching. That stinks, he said to add a fuel addative that would temporarily help with the problem. I don't want to spend money on a fuel system cleaning, especially if I get the problem back again or the pump fails. Is there a way to check fuel pressure withough going to a professional?

Jan 14, 2006, 01:52 PM
    The next time the car has sat for some time instead of just starting the car normally, turn the key to the point just before you would normally hear the starter turning the engine. Let it stay in this position for about 10 seconds. Do you hear the fuel pump humming? The fuel pump should hum enough to pressurize the fuel system. Now turn the key to the off position. Now turn the key to the same poisition just before the car would start and let the fuel pump pressurize the fuel system again. Do this a few times to make sure that there is enough fuel in the fuel system. If the car starts and runs fine with this method then it is either the fuel filter or the fuel pump is losing its capacity. The fuel pump can be tested but you have to put a gauge on the fuel line after the fuel pump. This can be dangerous if not done properly (aka fire). A mechanic can test the pressure in the fuel system rather easily.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 honda accord don't start [ 161 Answers ]

I have a 1998 honda accord that don't won't to start all the time.   I have read that other honda owners are having this problem.  I have had a mechanic to look at the car and of course the car starts with him my husband is trying to figure this out.  I think I am going to contact the main Honda...

98 1998 Honda Accord Ex Temperature Jumps Up And Down [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everybody.. I have a 98 honda accord coupe ex v-6 with 87000 miles on it.. the problem I'm having is sometimes when the car is in drive or park for a few minutes the temperature gauge will go really high like the car is running hot.. the fans will come on but the gauge will still be really...

1998 Honda Accord LX - starter problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX that will not start - the engine will not turn over. This happened one time about 3 weeks ago and I was going to purchase a new starter (which I did about 3 years ago) but saw some information that it might be a main relay issue, but the car started every time I tried...

1998 honda Accord starter problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have the same problem with my 98 accord as was posted many months ago and wondered if anyone had solved their problem. I just tried to start the car and although the starter could be heard spinning, it didn't engage the ring gear and so the engine didn't turn over. I have removed the starter...

1998 honda accord won't start. [ 0 Answers ]

I need some help. My car ran out of gas two weeks ago and hasn't started since. I put more gas in the tank and when I tried to fire it up it wouldn't start. I thought that it might be the fuel system, e.g. fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, but after running some simple diagnostics, decided to...

View more questions Search