Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syeuw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 07:40 AM
    Grey Hair - Premature
    What causes grey hair, besides the commonly known strees, inherited, lack of melanin in hair? Is lack of protein one of the cause?

What is the remedies to cure grey hair. I have try vit B, it doesn't work for me any more.

I found that dye hair will cause more grey hair for people like us who prone to having it. Is that true? Can I dye my hair and taking suggested remedies at the same time?

Welcom any good information & advise on this topic. Thanks
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2006, 10:36 AM
    Gray hair
    Hi,
    At 63 yrs old, my own hair is mostly gray, with a little brownish in it.
    I started having grayish colored hairs in my early 30's. Sometimes, it's due to genetics. Relatives on my Dad's side were also grayish colored early.
    Here is a link:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gray-hair/AN00310

It has some good info.
    No, there isn't anything known at present, as to how to stop graying hair.
    Using hair dye of any kind really doesn't promote graying; it only seems that way.
    For example, I dyed my hair around 45, used it for some months. After I decided to let it return to it's natuaral color, I had more gray! Reason was that after that time of a few months, it had gotten more gray natuarally, and I couldn't see it, because of the dyed hair.
    As a side comment, you might be surprised at how good natural gray hair looks to others!
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 15, 2006, 11:49 PM
    Syeuw, gray hair is caused by the absence of color pigment in the cortical layer. It is really (mottled) hair spots of white or whitish yellow scattered about in the hair shafts. Gray hair is just that it grows as another color that turns gray... In most cases, the graying of the hair is a result of the natural aging process in humans, although graying also can occur as a result of some illness or nervous shock. An early diminishing of pigment brought on by emotional tensions can also cause the hair to turn gray. Premature graying of hair in a young person is usually the result of a defect in the pigment formation occurring at birth. Often it will be found that several members of a family are affected with premature grayness.

Yes, gray hair can be dyed. When you dye your hair, try using a color one shade darker than the natural hair color. If you have resistant gray hair you may have to increase the process time. It's best to apply color to gray areas first to give resistant gray hairs more time to absorb color. Remember that grays could take up to 45 minutes to color.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2006, 12:32 AM
    Genetics have a lot to do with grey hair as well as wisdom of older age. I have cousins in my family that developed grey hair in early twenties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

Thinking about growing out my grey [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings from a newbie! Maybe someone here can help me. I'm close to 100% grey and have been coloring my hair for close to 30 years. I'm thinking about letting it come in, since I'm fairly young looking & live in So. Cal where no one is allowed to be grey so it could be striking in a Taylor...

CGI for Apache - Premature end of script headers [ 13 Answers ]

I have a post form on my Web site in Common Gateway Interface (CGI) but when people click in order to post it, the message Premature end of script headers: mailform.cgi appears. If you'd like to see what I'm talking about please go to this page : http://www.accesss.net/pnjoindre.html. How can I...

Grey Water Regs For Hawaii & you.S. Virgin Islands? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm thinking of building a small vacation home in either the US Virgin Islands or the Big Island of Hawaii. Water is scarce in both places and you need to use a rain catchment system. It would seem to make sense to use your grey water rather than dump it into a cesspool or septic tank. It would...

View more questions Search