Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Deciding on further treatment
    And now for the update on Trink:

Mixed news. The neurologist seems to think that the problem is in Trink's neck. She apparently showed signs of pain when it was manipulated. The x-rays are beautiful, which is pretty much what we expected, which means the likely culprits are a disc problem, a tumor, or some sort of irritation of the spinal cord lining or demyelization.

So now I am facing two options:
    1. Continue with the cage rest, anti-inflammatories, and pain killers, and hope that this resolves on its own. The problem is that if it was going to get better this way, it probably would have by now. On the other hand, there is the possibility that the situation may just stabilize at this level. (Somewhere between 1 and 2 on a 5 scale, with 1 being pain, 2 being ataxia, and 5 being complete paralysis.)
    2. Do more extensive diagnostics (i.e. MRI) to determine what the actual cause of the problem is. The advantages of this is that it will determine whether the cause is a bulging disc (which seems to be the most likely cause), tumor, inflammation of the meninges, etc. And based upon those results, we can determine whether there is anything that can be done surgically. The disadvantages are that it's not cheap (roughly 5k, including the surgery), there's the possibility that the surgery actually causes more damage (you are mucking around close to the spinal cord, plus there's all the standard surgical risks), and, given that the symptoms are mild, it's possible that the MRI will show several mild abnormalities, any of which could be the cause, which makes it a bit of a guessing game when you do the surgery.

Right now I am taking some time to consider the options, since the possibility of suddenly getting worse is not that likely. It would, in some sense, be easier if her condition was worse. If she wasn't walking, then I'd be much more likely to do the MRI and surgery. On the other hand, if I hold off and try the medical management route, and she does get worse, well... the worse she gets the longer the recovery from the surgery is going to take, and the more likely it is that she doesn't make a full recovery.

So how do people decide when to do the more extreme testing? What should I be considering?

(And, just an fyi, a greyhound's heart is HUGE! They did a chest x-ray, because if it was a tumor it might have spread there, and it's relatively easy to take chest and neck at the same time. And there is just the big splotch in the middle of the rib cage, with some very large blood vessles through the lungs. It was impressive to see!)
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 07:50 PM
    froggy7,
    Trink is your child (canine or not.) I'd try the MRI. At least then you will have a better idea what she is facing.
    Simone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Deciding if to euthenize [ 3 Answers ]

Do I take my cat back to the pound or go to the vet and have her euthenized properly (if this is proper)? We adopted our toothless calicol about six years ago, she was about eight at the time and they didn't know what happened to her teeth. Her mouth was fine and ate quite well when we brought her...

Trouble deciding about what I am going to be [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question for you girls... What worked best for you?. being a tomboy or a girly girl? I was asking this question because I am having trouble deciding what I am going to be. From, Sam the Man or Emily??

Help deciding [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a hard time figuring out what software to use. Can someone please suggest a really good anti-virus software for PC please? Thank you

I need help in deciding what to do with my thoughts! [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 15, and I have major problems with depression and anxiety. Which have been going on as long as I can remember, mostly from being much taller then my friends and more matured, and from having dyslexia at an early age. And the depression went along with that. So far the psychiatrist has put...

Help on deciding [ 4 Answers ]

Ok well I want to get an apple but am unsure as to the disadvantages. I have read the entire discussion fourom but still have some questions. Is there a version of Photoshop for the Powerbook G5? Laso, downloading files from the internet. If I went to a site like www.download.com could I get any...

View more questions Search