Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cazmo2006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 04:07 AM
    Shih tzu ate chicken bones hheeelllllllllllpppppppppp
    Ok my little shih tzu of nearly 10 months likes to dig through the bin.
    Anyway two nights ago he pulled out the bag full of cooked chicken wing bones and ate them. I didn't know until he was sick. This morning when I woke up in the kitchen there was sick everywhere and it was all just chopped up chicken bones!

What does this mean? What do I do? And is he going to die or is he OK?? /
    HELP PLEASE IM IN SUCH A STATE
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2006, 05:24 AM
    Chicken bones
    Hi, Cazmo,
    You need to take him to a Vet immediately.
    Cooked chicken bones can cause harm to the stomach.
    The splintered bones can puncture a dog's gastrointestinal tract, and can release toxins into his stomach.
    Hopefully this has not happened, but you really, really need to get him to a Vet as soon as possible, to have him checked out.
    I do wish you the best of luck, and please do it now.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2006, 07:08 AM
    It sounds like no harm was done as long as it was just normal looking vomit, nothing that looked like blood, or the very dark material blood changes to in the digestive system. Dogs frequently get away with eating chicken bones. That doesn't mean they are safe. They can splinter into sharp pieces and perforate the stomach or intestines. Best thing to do when a dog eats chicken bones of other things that splinter is to feed some white bread, the worst soft stuff you have. It will pack around the sharp objects allowing them pass harmlessly through. I am sure you will be more careful to keep her from eating dangerous things in the future.

I would keep a close eye on her. It is possible some sharp splinters passed on before she threw up. Black, tary stools are a real sign of trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Potty train for my shih tzu [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got a 8 weeks old shih tzu. I work long hours so I plan to potty train him indoor. I use newspaper in the crate and he pees on it, but when I let him out, he won't do it but instead he pees on the carpet. Sometimes when I caught him when he need to go, so I put him on the paper he just...

Puppies and bones [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of real bones are safe to give to a puppy. Was always told to never give dogs chicken bones because they can choke on them. So, we gave our 13 week old puppy a spare rib bone and we think he ate the entire thing in about a half hour. Is this even possible, and how dangerous is it? We...

My shih-tzu [ 2 Answers ]

My shih-tzu is about 10 years old. Recently I was dog sitting my son's beagle. My dog mated once with another shih-tzu. She got pregnant and ennded up needing a c-section. She had 2 puppies who both had breathing problems and she would not care for them. We did our best but both ended up dying....

Rawhide bones [ 2 Answers ]

I heard rawhide is not good for dogs. Is this true? If so, how come? Thanks everyone

Grooming question about our 8 week old Lhasa Apso / Shih Tzu [ 1 Answers ]

I have a grooming questions about our 8 week old Lhasa Apso / Shih Tzu? He is pretty fuzzy. How often in general should he be groomed? Also, I heard from several people about how his rear end should be groomed. Some people said to make sure that he doesn't have a lot of hair around his butt,...

View more questions Search