Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sydneycj Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 03:10 PM
    My family dog
    I have a boxer that is 1 1/2 yrs old. Whenever I leave the house for at least 2 hrs or longer he seems to chew on things. I have given him bones to chew on but he still insists on tearing my things up. How do I get him to stop? Does anybody have any suggestions?:confused:
    kidfromcali Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 03:48 PM
    You can try buying him a roomy cage and putting him in that when you leave and you can also use that as a punishment if he is bad. Dogs love to be put in there place trust me I've had 3 amazing dogs!
    hello4397 Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Try putting cardboard on the places he chews then he'll be confused and stop.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Sydney, you need to crate train your dog. It is the only way you are going to keep your dog from destroying your home when you are not around. You cannot train a dog to stop doing something if you aren't around to correct him. When you come home and the damage is already done, getting angry with him or punishing him doesn't have any effect on him except to train him to be fearful of you when you walk in the door. To stop negative behavior, you have to remove whatever temptations are around. He is a young dog and what he is doing is simply creating his own fun when no one is around to play with. If you are gone for the majority of the day, if you can afford it, you may want to consider finding a doggy day care facility you can drop him off at in the morning. He will be able to play with other dogs, get the exercise he needs, and be too tired to create havoc in your home at the end of the day. If you can't afford it, you need to crate train him, leave him with a kong (a tough toy you can find in any pet store) stuffed with a little peanut butter and treats to keep him busy. If you are gone for most of the day, find a dog walker to take him out for a potty run and exercise in the middle of day. For crate training tips, please take a look at labman's sticky at the top of the dog forum, which I have linked here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Jan 30, 2008, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    sydney, you need to crate train your dog. It is the only way you are going to keep your dog from destroying your home when you are not around. You cannot train a dog to stop doing something if you aren't around to correct him. When you come home and the damage is already done, getting angry with him or punishing him doesn't have any effect on him except to train him to be fearful of you when you walk in the door. To stop negative behavior, you have to remove whatever temptations are around. He is a young dog and what he is doing is simply creating his own fun when no one is around to play with. If you are gone for the majority of the day, if you can afford it, you may want to consider finding a doggy day care facility you can drop him off at in the morning. He will be able to play with other dogs, get the exercise he needs, and be too tired to create havoc in your home at the end of the day. If you can't afford it, you need to crate train him, leave him with a kong (a tough toy you can find in any pet store) stuffed with a little peanut butter and treats to keep him busy. If you are gone for most of the day, find a dog walker to take him out for a potty run and exercise in the middle of day. For crate training tips, please take a look at labman's sticky at the top of the dog forum, which I have linked here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    This is great advise. Nice answer. My dog was the same way. It took some time to train him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Single family to 2 family electrical service [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, first time posting to this site. I am changing an existing 200 amp service to a 2 meter service. Presently, the home added an apartment above the garage with its own 100 amp panel. The panel is served by a 100 amp breaker in the main panel. The homeowner wants to separately meter the...

How to Convert a single family house to a legal 4 family house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I am looking to convert my singly family home to a legal 4 family house so as to rent out all 4 units and get some income. How to do I go about getting all the information and permission for the same? Thanks

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Looking for an old cartoon; The Family Dog [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all! When I was young, my family and I watched an animated short movie called The Family Dog. This one was about the dog eating too much and becoming insanely fat. The house was robbed as the dog was too fat to do anything about the robbers. Please help me find a copy! Thank You so much!

View more questions Search