Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Edensmimi Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Jan 29, 2008, 12:20 PM
    I need to be educated on Nikon Camera Lens
    I own a Nikon D40X and was wondering if someone could educate me I have a Nikon 55-200mm lens. What do the numbers actually mean? I am new to the SLR scene and want to learn all I can. If anyone knows a website that can better help me please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Short version:

Digital Zoom and Focal Length explained

Focal lengths are 35 mm equlivelents.

Your camera/lens combo probably has a magnification range. So it can take a picture like your eye sees. I'm going to GUESS that it might magnify about 4x. If 50 mm is 1x, then 200 mm is 4x under 35 mm terms. The lens magnification is 200/55 or about 3.63.

The numbers turn out right for my camera. It boasts a 35-420 mm lens and a 12 x zoom. 12x is 420/35 exactly. In my case I can zoom or go further distant. In your case, you can go about what the eye can see in proportion plus magnify about 3.6 what the eye can see.
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Jan 30, 2008, 01:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Edensmimi
    I own a Nikon D40X and was wondering if someone could educate me I have a Nikon 55-200mm lens. What do the numbers actually mean? I am new to the SLR scene and want to learn all I can. If anyone knows a website that can better help me please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help
    As Keepitsimple mentions, Focal length are in ref to 35 mm equivalent. Now the vision that you see with the naked eye is equivalent to 50mm focal length in a 35mm camera. So as the focal length goes below 50mm it becomes wide angled and higher the focal length makes it telephoto (gives magnified image) If it has a variable focal length it is a telezoom lens as you have.
    Now with the D40x things do not end here. It takes photos in Nikon FX format. I suppose your lens also mentions 55-200FX. In other words the imaging sensor of D40x is smaller than a 35mm film, or full format Digital SLR (DX format in Nikon). Hence there is a conversion factor of around 1.6 to be multiplied to you focal lengths. Hence your 35mm equivalent focal length will be 88-320mm (55x1.6 & 200x1.6). So any pictures you take will always be magnified/closer than normal vision. You need a 18-55mm FX lens giving you a effective focal length of 28-88mm for your routine use. Whew!
    It is a bit technical but if you have any more queries please feel free.
    Edensmimi Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Feb 4, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Thank you both so much for all your help. I will learn something from this I am sure ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recommend good phones with a swiveling camera lens [ 1 Answers ]

Please, could anybody recommend a good cellphone that has a swiveling camera lens? I'd like it to be more on the small side... Not too large. But, please show all the cellphones you know of. I can't find many. :) I suppose not totally just swiveling camera lens... But what I want is just for...

Nikon d200 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I am now in the point in wich I have to get a more professional Camera. I'm thinking of the nikon d 200. Does anyone know just how professional It is?

Nikon FM10 Filter [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a nikon FM10 and I want to buy a polarizing filter.. which one should I use?

Camera Lens [ 3 Answers ]

Which is sharper, a fixed length focal lens or a zoom lens?

View more questions Search