Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 11:30 AM
    How do American Politics differ relative to moral principles of the U.S. armed forces
    What are the guiding moral principles of the U.S. armed forces?

How do they differ from our civilian culture, which focuses on the individual flourishing and material self-interest?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Dark Crow asks: "What are the guiding moral principles of the U.S. armed forces?"
    Primarily, until The Korean War, "unconditional surrender". As a result of TV, In my opinion, the military has stayed away from that principle. The Geneva Accords are a lesser source of principles.

Dark Crow asks: "How do they differ from our civilian culture"? The guiding principle is the personal or private ownership of property, from which all other rights flow: the rights to life, liberty, and happiness.

The answers to both questions are interrelated in that on the battlefield, "rights" are taken or protected by force, whereas within the culture rights are evaluated and negotiated by contract and/or agreement, for the most part.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Jan 30, 2008, 08:55 AM
    I can't speak to the moral principles of American politics, as there seem to be none. But here are the guiding moral principals of 1) our entire U.S. Armed Forces, 2) the U.S. Army, and 3) the U.S. Navy SEALs.

The Code of Conduct is a personal conduct mandate for members of the American armed forces throughout the world.
    Article I: I am an American, fighting in the armed forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.
    Article II: I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.
    Article III: If I am captured, I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.
    Article IV: If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information nor take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.
    Article V: When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service, number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.
    Article VI: I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

U.S. Army Warrior Ethos:
    I will always place the mission first.
    I will never accept defeat.
    I will never quit.
    I will never leave a fallen comrade.

The SEAL Code
    • Loyalty to Country, Team and Teammate
    • Serve with Honor and Integrity On and Off the Battlefield
    • Ready to Lead, Ready to Follow, Never Quit
    • Take responsibility for your actions and the actions of your teammates
    • Excel as Warriors through Discipline and Innovation
    • Train for War, Fight to Win, Defeat our Nation's Enemies
    • Earn your Trident everyday
    United States Navy SEAL
    In times of war or uncertainty there is a special breed of warrior ready to answer our Nation's call. A common man with uncommon desire to succeed.

Forged by adversity, he stands alongside America's finest special operations forces to serve his country, the American people, and protect their way of life.

I am that man.

My Trident is a symbol of honor and heritage. Bestowed upon me by the heroes that have gone before, it embodies the trust of those I have sworn to protect. By wearing the Trident I accept the responsibility of my chosen profession and way of life. It is a privilege that I must earn every day.

My loyalty to Country and Team is beyond reproach. I humbly serve as a guardian to my fellow Americans always ready to defend those who are unable to defend themselves. I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions. I voluntarily accept the inherent hazards of my profession, placing the welfare and security of others before my own.

I serve with honor on and off the battlefield. The ability to control my emotions and my actions, regardless of circumstance, sets me apart from other men.

Uncompromising integrity is my standard. My character and honor are steadfast. My word is my bond.

We expect to lead and be led. In the absence of orders I will take charge, lead my teammates and accomplish the mission. I lead by example in all situations.

I will never quit. I persevere and thrive on adversity. My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.

We demand discipline. We expect innovation. The lives of my teammates and the success of our mission depend on me - my technical skill, tactical proficiency, and attention to detail. My training is never complete.

We train for war and fight to win. I stand ready to bring the full spectrum of combat power to bear in order to achieve my mission and the goals established by my country. The execution of my duties will be swift and violent when required yet guided by the very principles that I serve to defend.

Brave men have fought and died building the proud tradition and feared reputation that I am bound to uphold. In the worst of conditions, the legacy of my teammates steadies my resolve and silently guides my every deed.

I will not fail.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Primarily, until The Korean War, "unconditional surrender".
    Isn't "unconditional surrender" the Democrats' guiding moral principle? :D
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 11:35 AM
    Thanks Kindj
    I think those 'Rules of Conduct' are based on a broader ethical philosophy. Anyone who has been around a military academy or boot camp knows that "suck it up" is the mantra. This is of course contrary to politics; politics wants to help everyone with their personal problems.

Our military is trained by what comes out of our Military Academies which is the ethical philosophy of Stoicism: “Stoicism is a school of Hellenistic philosophy, founded by Zeno of Citium in Athens in the early third century BC.

It proved to be a popular and durable philosophy, with a following throughout Greece and the Roman Empire from its founding until all the schools of philosophy were ordered closed in AD 529 by the Emperor Justinian I, who perceived their pagan character to be at odds with his Christian faith. The core doctrine of Stoicism concerns cosmic Determinism and human freedom, and the belief that virtue is to maintain a Will that is in accord with nature.”
    Stoicism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe politicians today are much like Emperor Justinian I.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    What are the guiding moral principles of the U.S. armed forces? How do they differ from our civilian culture, which focuses on the individual flourishing and material self-interest?
    Hello DC:

That's why philosophy is around. You want to make something real simple into something real complicated. Probably because you want to look smart. Ok, you look smart to me.

Here's a dummy's answer: The guiding moral principal of our armed forces is: Kill the enemy. The guiding force in civilian life is: Make a lot of money.

I'm sure it's more complicated than that. Maybe you can tell me what I'm missing.

excon
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Dark Crow asks: "What are the guiding moral principles of the U.S. armed forces?"
    Primarily, until The Korean War, "unconditional surrender". As a result of TV, IMHO, the military has stayed away from that principle. The Geneva Accords are a lesser source of principles.

Dark Crow asks: "How do they differ from our civilian culture"? The guiding principle is the personal or private ownership of property, from which all other rights flow: the rights to life, liberty, and happiness.

The answers to both questions are interrelated in that on the battlefield, "rights" are taken or protected by force, whereas within the culture rights are evaluated and negotiated by contract and/or agreement, for the most part.
    Mr. Dark_Crow: after reading excon's unique contribution, I would like to revise and extend the following: "...all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." This is bedrock, revolutionary, American thought upon which we morally and legally base the right to ourselves and our property, a thought which remains revolutionary around the world today, and is foreign to both Republicans and Democrats in the United States.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Jan 31, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Thanks Kindj
    I think those ‘Rules of Conduct’ are based on a broader ethical philosophy. Anyone who has been around a military academy or boot camp knows that "suck it up" is the mantra. This is of course contrary to politics; politics wants to help everyone with their personal problems.

Our military is trained by what comes out of our Military Academies which is the ethical philosophy of Stoicism: “Stoicism is a school of Hellenistic philosophy, founded by Zeno of Citium in Athens in the early third century BC.

It proved to be a popular and durable philosophy, with a following throughout Greece and the Roman Empire from its founding until all the schools of philosophy were ordered closed in AD 529 by the Emperor Justinian I, who perceived their pagan character to be at odds with his Christian faith. The core doctrine of Stoicism concerns cosmic Determinism and human freedom, and the belief that virtue is to maintain a Will that is in accord with nature.”
    Stoicism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe politicians today are much like Emperor Justinian I.
    I guess that's why I figure I would've been a pretty decent Spartan.

Well, except for that whole "man sex" thing...
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 08:24 AM
    George, after reading excon's unique contribution I am not surprised that many people treat members of the armed services so badly. They are uneducated as to the code of conduct and philosophy behind that conduct that they believe the only training a person gets is to kill.

You are right on about “unalienable Rights.” That is one of the basic virtues that are taught in America's military Academies.

Nancy Sherman, who teaches at the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis and has written a book titled “Stoic Warriors”, relates a story:
    “I had a funny experience at West Point. I was in a taxi with a colonel and was asked, "What do you do?" I said, "I teach philosophy." He said, "I don't have much time for philosophy, but I do read Marcus Aurelius about four times a year." Aurelius is in a cute little pocket-size book these days, so he is being rediscovered after being neglected by the American groves of academe.”.
    Interestingly, the cab driver was reading philosophy and did not even realize it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 08:39 AM
    They are uneducated as to the code of conduct and philosophy behind that conduct that they believe the only training a person gets is to kill.
    Hello again, DC:

Oh, you're talking being told not to shoot civilians.

Yeah, they told me that. But, I don't remember any philosophy courses. Do you mean UCMJ courses, or Geneva Convention courses, or Constitutional courses? We had those.

Were those courses like Marcus Aralias too? I was getting philosophy when I thought I was getting law? Yeah - I guess I missed that.

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2008, 09:45 AM
    More silliness

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free Trade in American Politics. [ 23 Answers ]

Free Trade has been a part of American Politics since its inception, and especially since Truman. Today Alan Blinder, a professor at Princeton University and a former deputy chairman of the US Federal Reserve Bank has his doubts; as does at least one Candidate for Presidency…Hillary Clinton. ...

Do speed differ from location? [ 3 Answers ]

If I like.. download from someone who lives in a different location.. lets say Iraq.. and then I downloaded that same file from someone who lived in my city.. would the internet speed be very different because we're in different locations? Or our internet service provider is in different...

Should Bank Tellers Be Armed? [ 7 Answers ]

The topic is more or less self explanatory. Simply put, should they allow bank tellers to be armed as a mode of defense? To what extent? Why or Why not? Do you think they will allow it later in the future?

How does an interview differ from a conversation? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I'm trying to do some research on this topic, Am not getting very far though! Any help you could give on: "How does an interview differ from a conversation?"

View more questions Search