Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wa6apn Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2006, 10:18 PM
    ARC fault breakers ?
    I see where the 2005 NEC requires ARC fault breakers on all bedroom circuits,lighting and wall recepticals. It appears that this is for new construction. Would this also apply to rewiring an old house? Thanks in advance. Tom
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 13, 2006, 10:26 PM
    If you do a 100% rewire your local code may enforce the arc faults. Check with your local code office to see what they require.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2006, 07:28 PM
    Also make certain your local building codes follow the '05 NEC. Despite its being called a code it isn't. And your local code might be one that adopted an older version of the NEC.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Jan 20, 2006, 11:59 AM
    In my case, the inspector told me that I will need to replace the breakers supplying the bedrooms with Arc-Fault breakers.

I had an electrician replace the old Pushmatic panel with a new GE panel and run a sub-panel (GE) to our new addition.

The inspector approved and signed off the electricians work and he has signed off on my rough-in. He then told me that I would need to replace the new breakers in the panel with Arc-Faults.

At $35 each for 4 breakers, I figured that it would be cheap insurance and help with my wife's piece of mind.

After all, what's $140 when we are spending more on the addition than we did to buy our new house.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 20, 2006, 05:30 PM
    Well if you can afford the breakers go for it. Be forwarned! Arc Fault breakers are funny at times. I have had lots of little problems that have cropped up with them and I find them to be tricky to troubleshoot at times. But when it all boils down they are a great thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arch Fault Breakers [ 3 Answers ]

I installed AFCI breakers in a 100 amp panel. When the lights are turn on the breaker shut down the circuit. Everything is wired properly! Is there a special way to install AFCI breakers? Help Parcom

Recepticals and breakers [ 1 Answers ]

How many receptical can be put on a 20 amp breaker? Also would it be okay to put lampost lights on a breaker that services my basement? The total wattage would be 1055 watt. Thank you, Don

Arc fault breakers [ 4 Answers ]

I am wiring bedrooms and I know that in California the outlets need to be on an arc fault breaker. 2 questions 1. would there be any problem in wiring a couple of recess lights in the bedrooms on the same circuit with the outlets? 2. There is an outlet in the hallway opposite and outlet in...

Fuses v breakers [ 3 Answers ]

thought I'd look on the web for this and I found this site. Here goes... my building was built in 1939 and has old cloth wire in it. My neighbors have all had their fuse boxes upgraded to circuit breakers, and since I recently fried a wire inside a conduit while hanging a fixture, I thought...

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to up grade the amps going to my garage so I can run my saws and power tools with out dimming my shop lights. I currently have a old style fuse box in the garge feed with 12ga uf cable run off a 20amp circuit breaker in the service panel. My plans are to replace the fuse box with a new...

View more questions Search