Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2004, 01:26 PM
    Hampton Ceiling fan remote stopped working
    I moved into our house about 1.5 years ago. In one room there is a Hampton Bay ceiling fan which has a remote control. A few weeks ago the whole device stopped working, meaning we can't get either the fan or the light to turn on. We replaced the battery in the remote control, and checked the switchbox to make sure the circuit wasn't tripped. Any ideas?
    chaswin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2004, 07:25 AM
    Re: Hampton Ceiling fan remote stopped working
    ?? Is this fan the Winward II 54inch model. I have one about a year old and the fan won't go more than about half speed and the remote indicates 100%.
    Skeeterzirra Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2004, 09:37 AM
    One thing you might check is the frequency selection dip switch. Inside the battery compartment is a dip switch with several tiny switches. The factory default is for all of the switches to be off. Try flipping the dip switches one-by-one to see if the dip switch accidentally got thrown to a new setting.
    chaswin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2004, 11:46 AM
    That is a good thought. However, I don't think the fan would respond at all if a switch were in the wrong position. Anyway, I set all switches off and the fan or light would not respond. Several other selections did not work either. I switched back to the way they were and the light and fan respond except th fan speed is way too low at 100%. Guess I need to send it in for a check.

May 31, 2004, 06:42 PM
    I' not sure of the model name, but the remote doesn't have a speed indicator other than "Lo Med Hi".

May 31, 2004, 06:46 PM
    To Skeeterzirra,

Thanks. Someone else told me about the dip swithches. Unfortunately, that didn't work either.
    schouisch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2005, 11:57 PM
    It worked!
    I found this site by accident when I was looking to buy a new remote for my Hampton Bay ceiling fan (dropped it on the tiled floor)... then I saw the advice about flipping the switches... and it worked like a charm. My hubby is astonished. Thanks.
    russ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2005, 01:33 AM
    Did you check for a pinched wire?
    vbaxter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2005, 03:07 PM
    Ceiling fan and lights quit working
    Bedroom Fan/Light - First the fan quit working, but I still could use the remote for the lights. Now the lights don't work either. I tried a different remote and also tried changing the dip switches. The light works by the switch only now. The remote is useless. I also changed the battery in the remote.

Living Room - Fan and lights quit working. This light doesn't even work by the switch on the wall as the one in the bedroom does. Tried all of the above, battery, dip switches and even the different remote.

Suggestions would be appreciated. I was wondering is anyone familiar with
    The transmitter that is inside the fan?

Does anyone have the proper dip switch settings?

Thanks.
    treve Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2005, 07:46 PM
    The receiver is located in the canopy that covers the hanger bracket attached to the ceiling. To change the settings of the switches you are required to disconnect power from the receiver/fan (switch off breaker). The position of the 4 dipswitches on the receiver have to correspond with the ones in the remote (open battery cover), which can be 16 different combinations. You will solve the problem faster if you check what the position of the dipswitches in the receiver is set to. You do not necessarily have to change it, unless you have second fan nearby with remote that uses the same dipswitch combination. If not, just check the poisition and make sure the position in the remote corresponds to that of the receiver. Flipping through all of the 16 combinations will be tedious since you are required to disconnect power every time you change the combination in the receiver or remote or both. The power disconnect is required for the receiver to reset to the new frequency when power returns to it. Hope this helps.
    Miamison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2005, 09:35 AM
    Miamison
    undefined
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterzirra
    One thing you might check is the frequency selection dip switch. Inside the battery compartment is a dip switch with several tiny switches. The factory default is for all of the switches to be off. Try flipping the dip switches one-by-one to see if the dip switch accidentally got thrown to a new setting.
    Nothing seems to work I think I need a new remote but can't find out where to get one? :eek:
    mnoel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2005, 08:48 AM
    Hampton Bay Marine Outdoor Fan -Remote Not Working
    A week ago I installed a new Hampton Bay MARINE Outdoor Ceiling Fan a week ago underneath my Deck/Pergolla.
    When I completed the install the remote worked fine. Now nothing, I get a red
    Light on the remote, which ad a new battery but the fan now do not respond
    To ether the LIGHT ON/OFF/Dimmer or the FAN ON/OFF /speed controls.

Now only the fan runs but the light doesn’t work and the bulb is not blown.
    The only way I can cut the fan off is to trip the GFCI that is feeding the power.

Do you have any suggestion on to fix this problem with the remote. I have not tried the dip swithches
    Yet, because the default setting worked fine out of the box. I will try different dipp swith setting tomorrow.

If you have any other suggestion on how to resolve my remote problem is sincerely appreciated.

By the way I can’t seem to located the Hampton Bay official website.

Thanks
    Michael Noel
    202-306-1838
    [email protected]
    mikel pickle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2005, 06:26 PM
    Remote Failure Fix
    Hey Everyone,

I just had a remote failure and fixed it this weekend. I took the receiver out of the bell housing and had rewired the fan and lights to work manually. It was pretty easy. I then returned the sender and receiver to Home Depot. They were great and replaced it. I'm not an electrician, but moderately handy and put it all back to gether in working order in less than 30 minutes. Replacing the remote worked.

It looks like Hampton Bay may have an issue with quality and reliability with the remotes. :cool:

Did you ever get yours fixed?
    fishfanz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2005, 03:39 PM
    Dip switch?
    I opened the wall remote battery compartment, but didn't see any dip switches. Mind you, I bought the house with the remote in the wall and don't have the manual to refer to. However, I might just be a dip and not recognize a dip switch! What should I be looking for?
    mikel pickle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2005, 08:23 AM
    Switches
    Hey Fish,

In mine the very little switches (4 of them) are inside and above the battery compartment of the remote. They are not obvious to see and require a little tool of some kind to move (switch). I'm not sure what you have, but just open it up and look carefully inside.

I hope this helps.

MP
    Attached Images

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 16, 2005, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfanz
    I opened the wall remote battery compartment, but didn't see any dip switches. Mind you, I bought the house with the remote in the wall and don't have the manual to refer to. However, I might just be a dip and not recognize a dip switch! What should I be looking for?

There should be 4 little 1/16'' square bumps with a shallow hole next to them. The bump will slide into the hole next to it. A very small screwdriver works as well as anything.
    uptown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2005, 06:35 PM
    Hampton Bay remote ghost
    I have the UC7052T model that came with the apartment when I bought it last year. We have already established problems with the neighbors above us who are thankfully moving out soon. It seems that the frequencies of the same model are identicle and when we go to bed with the fan on and turn the light out with the remote it turns the neighbors on and visa versa. This as you can tell is getting very tedious and having our light turn magically on by itseld in the middle of the night does not help with the neighborly relations. Going by a recent posting from 'treve' I should just turn the power off and reset the 4 dipswitches on the light/fan fixture to correspond with those in the remote. It appears that we just have them set the same. Please advise if I should not do this.
    Chief Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2005, 02:25 PM
    Hampton Fan doesn't work
    Two days after I had the electrician install the fan (which worked perfectly), the fan just stopped working. The light works, but not the fan. I located the switches above the battery and tried different combinations. I was able to turn off the electricity to the fan by manuevering the switches--the fan still doesn't work. Any advice?
    too hot in oakland Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2005, 08:51 PM
    Fan stopped, lights work
    I installed a Redington III 52" fan/light just two years ago, and it's been working fine, with no problems until tonight.
    It's warm for Oakland, about 85, and suddenly the fan quit. It had been running on high for a couple of hours, and nothing happened externally.
    I wonder if anyone has had anything like this happen, and how it got resolved. I sure hate the thought of taking it down, taking it apart, and taking it back to Home Depot for repair/replacement.
    Sometimes, now, when I hit one of the speed buttons, it starts to move, very very slowly, and then stops; doesn't move more than a quarter of an inch.
    What might I try?
    I'd be grateful for any ideas or feedback.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2005, 06:46 AM
    Prime the fan...
    Quote Originally Posted by too hot in oakland
    I installed a Redington III 52" fan/light just two years ago, and it's been working fine, with no problems until tonight.
    It's warm for Oakland, about 85, and suddenly the fan quit. It had been running on high for a couple of hours, and nothing happened externally.
    I wonder if anyone has had anything like this happen, and how it got resolved. I sure hate the thought of taking it down, taking it apart, and taking it back to Home Depot for repair/replacement.
    Sometimes, now, when I hit one of the speed buttons, it starts to move, very very slowly, and then stops; doesn't move more than a quarter of an inch.
    What might I try?
    I'd be grateful for any ideas or feedback.
    ... when you hit the remote by carefully pushing the fan blade in the direction it wants to go. It sounds like a bearing or brush problem in the motor. Do you have a high amount of dust or other airborne particles in your home? It could be as bad as a burnt out winding. BTW... am from Fremont, work in San Jose and travel frequently to the Central Valley... know how you must be feeling. If you do have to replace it try to do it in the morning or at night when it is cooler. We have ceiling fans and a high volume floor fan to take advantage of the late evening to dawn cool bay air.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Remote [ 5 Answers ]

I have two Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans in my office that works off the remote the problem is the remote will work one fan just fine but it doesn't work the other fan at all please help

Ceiling light stopped working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Last night I turned on the ceiling light in the hallway and it made a popping noise, with a small blue flash at the light, exactly like when a light bulb has just burned out. There are three bulbs in the light fixture and after that none would come on. I changed all three bulbs and the...

Hampton Bay fan stopped working [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have had a Hampton Bay fan for about a year now and it's been great. This morning it was not running. When I turned the light on, they both flashed and continued to do so. I put new batteries in the remote and it sill won't turn. It is a Windward III Model 740 183. Any ideas? ...

2 Ceiling Lights stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Both my upstairs landing light and bedroom light have both stopped working. What ever has caused them to stop also appears to have blown the bulbs. I have changed the bulbs and checked the fuse board (not sure if that's the correct name for it) but all the switches were still on. I turned them off...

View more questions Search