Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Artf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2005, 08:14 AM
    Light Dimmer doesn't work properly
    I have a Hampton Bay light and fan that operates with a remote. The fans work properly. The light switches on but when I try to control the light intensity it just blinks. Does anyone know the solution. Where can I buy replacement receivers or transmitters if necessary . I bought the lamp at Home Depot. Would I have to replace both units?
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2005, 10:16 AM
    Originally posted by BOOJUM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artf
    I have a Hampton Bay light and fan that operates with a remote. The fans work properly. The light switches on but when I try to control the light intensity it just blinks. Does anyone know the solution. Where can I buy replacement receivers or transmitters if necessary . I bought the lamp at Home Depot. Would I have to replace both units?
    OK... I've exhausted trying to fix this fan... Metered out the switch. Its OK. Bypassed the reverse swith and capacitors... I'm convinced I have an open motor winding and its not worth wasting any more time on this. Here's the good news. I found Hampton Bay's Tech Support Hotline number at 800-749-3267. I called them and they said if I supplied the UPC # from the top of the fan, they'd send me the part I needed. As my fan is too old for the UPC number, they said they'd send me a $50 gift certificate from Home Depot to use how I want. I think that's very fair! I'm waiting for the gift check to arrive in the mail (if I don't get it, I'll report back). Good luck!
    too hot in oakland Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2005, 05:37 PM
    Hampton bay ceiling fan problems
    Thanks for the reply.
    I decided that even though I had clumb up a ladder my own self to install the fan originally, I'm just a bit ancient for that stuff any more. Pain in the neck to uninstall, clean, etc. so I decided to use our home warranty and have someone else come up and do that, or whatever else it needs. My wife clapped her hands when I suggested maybe I'd get someone else to handle it.
    For $35, I can rest easy.
    It is very dusty here, yes... and a further complication is the light fixture beneath the fan.
    I'll let "him" do the hard stuff... I'll just watch.
    Thanks again for the comeback.

THIO
    too hot in oakland Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2005, 03:32 PM
    All fixed up now that it's turned cold :-)
    Finally, after one month, the electrician from the home warranty company showed up today with a new fan.
    Just for kicks, I took apart the light assembly to see what was going on in there, and to possibly use the old light fixture for the new fan, since the new one, even though it has a remote in the canopy up at the ceiling, also has chains hanging down (small ones, since I didn't put on the extensions.)
    What I found inside the light assembly? The control module, totally crispy-crittered. Looks like either a transformer blew out or a condenser, can't tell which caused which. But the transformer on the circuit board is a burned-out hulk, and there's molten metal atop the condenser next to it.
    Sure glad he brought a new one, and didn't try a repair! What a mess!
    So now I have a Redington IV. Instead of having reverse on the remote, I have a small switch on the light canopy. Still might try to swap canopies, but not sure. If my wife can live with the small (3") chains hanging down, so can I!
    Jenny123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2005, 06:17 AM
    Thank You!
    We have been having problems with our Hampton Bay fan/light in our living room and were about to break down and buy a new fan. We could not get the remote to turn the fan on and shut the lights off. I took the suggestion of one of the posters regarding the switches in the remote. I tried several different switch positions and finally found one that worked! My husband is going to be amazed! Thank you for the posting! You have saved us at least $300!!
    Ni Oma Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2005, 10:19 AM
    Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Problems
    First of all, thank you to Flickit for the King of Fans (Hampton Bay) Tech Support Hotline number (800-749-3267). I could not find it anywhere in my documentation. King of Fans is, according to their tech rep, a manufacturer for some of the Hampton Bay models.

BACKGROUND
    I installed my remote controlled San Juan ceiling fan (model #360396 ) just over two years ago. It had been a pretty good fan, keeping a lot of air flowing through the master bed room (very nice on a humid summer night). The remote control has always been finicky but I think it is because the receiver is buried up under a metal bracket and a large tangle of excess wire at the top of the fan extension tube. As long as we stood in just the right place to use the remote we were fine.

PROBLEM
    A few weeks ago the fan suddenly kicked from high speed to something close to half speed. It had been running for a few hours continuously and no one touched the remote. I thought maybe we'd picked up a signal from a neighbor, although that has never happened before. Nope, all three speed settings were now running at less than half their normal speed. Plus, it sounded like the motor was working extra hard just to achieve the lower rotation speed.

One week later the fan gave up its belabored efforts altogether and just stopped turning. The light still worked (assuming we were standing in that special spot) but no air moved.

TROUBLESHOOTING
    The fan still hums at different pitches as I cycle through the speeds on the remote and the light works so the receiver isn't completely shot. The fan spins easily by hand so it's not obstructed. I checked all connections and visually inspected the receiver to make sure it wasn't charred/melted/etc. On a positive note, I finally moved the receiver antenna closer to the outside of the bracket and extra wires while I had the cover open. Now there are 4 or 5 places we can stand to turn on and off the light! Still doesn't work from everywhere in the room (including my side of the bed... ).

The King of Fans rep told me to bypass the remote receiver to see if the fan will spin while hard wired to the wall switch. If the motor still works while hard wired I'll need to buy a new receiver. If not, then I was told to take the whole thing back to Home Depot for a replacement.

I will try to remember to post again when the issue has been completely resolved.

Nov 10, 2005, 07:48 AM
    Motor is the problem
    I bypassed the remote receiver this morning and hardwired the fan and the light into the wall switches. The light works just fine on the switch. The fan motor just makes the same low hum as before. Looks like the problem is not in the receiver/controller.

Next stop -- HOME DEPOT! If I can't find the two-year old receipt for the exchange/replacement I'll be at their mercy...

Nov 12, 2005, 08:53 AM
    Fan exchange with no receipt
    So, after trying unsuccessfully for three days to find a two year old receipt I hauled the fan in to Home Depot anyway. I had the manual so they were able to look it up by model number.

The good news: Home Depot owns Hampton Bay so they were willing to exchange it for store credit. Plus, the lighting guy kicked in an additional 10% off the Berlini model I picked to replace my dead fan. Not bad.

The bad news: the San Juan model was discontinued some time ago and the last price in the system was $79, the final clearance price (less than half what I paid for it, but better than nothing).

When all was said and done I had to kick in an additional $53 to get a new $149 fan. It could have been worse. And I can’t complain much since, after all, I didn’t produce the receipt.

I installed the new fan and noticed a few changes vs. the old one. The receiver on this one is built into the top of the motor housing so there are fewer connections to make. It also seems to receive the signal from anywhere in the room! No more standing just so in order to make the light turn off and on. The only gripe I have about the new fan is that the drop tube that came with it appears to be a few inches shorter than the one pictured on the package. I have a few longer tubes left over from other fans (different colors but close enough) but they have changed to a threaded tube so my extras won’t fit. The new short tube leaves only about 5 inches of clearance between the blades and the vaulted ceiling instead of the 10 or so that the previous fan provided. I clipped the new receipt to the manual which is going back into a box with other miscellaneous fan parts. Wouldn’t it be nice if I never need it…
    slefrab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2005, 12:27 PM
    Smoke Escaped
    I used the remote on my ceiling fan last night and after 10 minutes or so the lights started to flicker, turned off and back on with remote, worked OK, left room for a few minutes, came down hallway to bedroom and smelled smoke, light was out and there was charred bakelight or electrical material on the glass of one bulb. Checked all bulbs, all burnt out, replaced bulb to test, works but very dimm. Any idea's? All bulbs but one had a charred black spot at base of bulb, as before all were bad? Remote still turns light on and off, fan too.
    rbj Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2005, 11:12 AM
    Thank you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterzirra
    One thing you might check is the frequency selection dip switch. Inside the battery compartment is a dip switch with several tiny switches. The factory default is for all of the switches to be off. Try flipping the dip switches one-by-one to see if the dip switch accidentally got thrown to a new setting.

I tried this and IT WORKED!! Thanks for the info. I originally had to reset the switches due to our neighbor buying the same fan but it did not occur to me that the switches would move themselves.
    Thanks a lot!! :
    cjohnson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2005, 12:42 PM
    Replace remote with chain pull
    Just got a remote hampton bay fan without the remote, it was a display model for half price. I want to convert it a pull chain operation as the fan that I'm replacing is a pull chain type. There is no wall switch connected. Sounds like what you did is what I need to do. What do I need to convert it over?

Quote Originally Posted by mikel pickle
    Hey Ever

with pull chain
    I just had a remote failure and fixed it this weekend. I took the receiver out of the bell housing and had rewired the fan and lights to work manually. It was pretty easy. I then returned the sender and receiver to Home Depot. They were great and replaced it. I'm not an electrician, but moderately handy and put it all back to gether in working order in less than 30 minutes. Replacing the remote worked.

It looks like Hampton Bay may have an issue with quality and reliability with the remotes. :cool:

Did you ever get yours fixed?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2005, 09:52 PM
    I think what you need are a couple of pull chain switches that work like the remote did. Some 3 speed motors have 2 coils. The first position is all off, the second the low speed coil, the third the medium speed coil, and the fourth both coils. Others have 3 different coils. You need to match the switch to the motor. If the lights have separate leads, you can do the same thing, or just go with a simple on/off for all or nothing.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Ok, there are so many different questions and problems in this thread, my head is spinning (pun intended). I'm going to post two links that should help with the majority of the questions that haven't already been answered.. . And if you have further questions please repost.

#1. Ceiling Fan Remote Problems:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...e-controls.php

#2. Ceiling Fan Troubleshooting

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...ng-and-FAQ.php
    atrobinson Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 10:12 PM
    I own a Hampton Bay Redington III Ceiling Fan which has worked well for the past 2 years. A couple of days ago the lights stopped working. I checked the remote, changed batteries, checked all the lights and nothing. Then yesterday I went into the kitchen and it was on. I went back approx 30 minutes later and it was off and hasn't worked since. The fan works fine. Any suggestions? Thanks
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2006, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I think what you need are a couple of pull chain switches that work like the remote did. Some 3 speed motors have 2 coils. The first position is all off, the second the low speed coil, the third the medium speed coil, and the fourth both coils. Others have 3 different coils. You need to match the switch to the motor. If the lights have separate leads, you can do the same thing, or just go with a simple on/off for all or nothing.
    I didn't even see this post before!

Some motors only have 2 coils (start and run, we'll call them) and the speeds are not determined by coil taps but by capacitors. The problem you might run into is if whatever's regulating the speed is on the same circuit board as the remote receiver. In most cases you can bypass the remote switching and convert to a pullchain, but you'll need to be "handy". If you don't know what LabMan is talking about, you probably shouldn't try it!
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2006, 10:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by atrobinson
    I own a Hampton Bay Redington III Ceiling Fan which has worked well for the past 2 years. A couple of days ago the lights stopped working. I checked the remote, changed batteries, checked all the lights and nothing. Then yesterday I went into the kitchen and it was on. I went back approx 30 mins later and it was off and hasn't worked since. The fan works fine. Any suggestions?? Thanks
    If the remote is controlling the fan motor properly the first thing I would check would be a loose connection to the light. Am I correct in assuming all four sockets are going on and off as one?

Feb 26, 2006, 10:13 PM
    All lights work together. I took fan down today and checked wires with volt meter. Light wires seem to be carrying current. I took top off and looked for bad connection/burnt wires... looks OK. Also resent dip switches (only once with power off) Not sure what is going on. Home Depot is giving me the runaround even though I have receipt. Any suggestions?
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2006, 10:29 PM
    When you tested the light wires, the light was not working at that time? So the light isn't working but you're getting voltage to the wires? Really sounds like a bad connection, unless you're measuring for voltage incorrectly.. . Or if they just started working again around the time you checked.

Feb 28, 2006, 01:04 AM
    I took the light fixture off and used the volt meter on the part that was off to make sure the wires carried a current. I then tested the wires that were hanging down that attached to the light fixture. (the fan part still worked and it was attached to the ceiling. They worked also. I talked to Hampton Bay and King of Fans today and they said it sounded like not the remote but the switch inside the fan. They are sending me a new one. Hopefully it works. It's a really nice fan and I really don't want to have to fight with Home Depot right now :eek:!
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2006, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by atrobinson
    I took the light fixture off and used the volt meter on the part that was off to make sure the wires carried a current. I then tested the wires that were hanging down that attached to the light fixture. (the fan part still worked and it was attached to the ceiling. They worked also. I talked to Hampton Bay and King of Fans today and they said it sounded like not the remote but the switch inside the fan. They are sending me a new one. Hopefully it works. Its a really nice fan and I really don't want to have to fight with Home Depot right now :eek: !!
    At the time you removed the light fixture and tested the wires for current, was the light fixture working? You stated in your original post that it had stopped working, started, then stopped again. I'm still not clear if you're saying "current measures at the wires but the light still isnt working" or "the light has started working again and current measures at the wires". The former would point to a problem in the light itself, although with electronic controls sometimes the current measurement may not always be what it appears.

It sounds like King of Fans is sending you a replacement receiver. That may very well work, so let's see!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Remote [ 5 Answers ]

I have two Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans in my office that works off the remote the problem is the remote will work one fan just fine but it doesn't work the other fan at all please help

Ceiling light stopped working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Last night I turned on the ceiling light in the hallway and it made a popping noise, with a small blue flash at the light, exactly like when a light bulb has just burned out. There are three bulbs in the light fixture and after that none would come on. I changed all three bulbs and the...

Hampton Bay fan stopped working [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have had a Hampton Bay fan for about a year now and it's been great. This morning it was not running. When I turned the light on, they both flashed and continued to do so. I put new batteries in the remote and it sill won't turn. It is a Windward III Model 740 183. Any ideas? ...

2 Ceiling Lights stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Both my upstairs landing light and bedroom light have both stopped working. What ever has caused them to stop also appears to have blown the bulbs. I have changed the bulbs and checked the fuse board (not sure if that's the correct name for it) but all the switches were still on. I turned them off...

View more questions Search