Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kenichol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Dog Pooping In Crate Anc Crying
    My dog is an american eskimo beagle mix. I got him 6 days ago. I have been reading about what to do with him because he keeps pooping in his crate. He is small, about 5 pounds. I had him in a cat carrier and he screamed and hated it. So I thought it was too small. So I put him in a crate. I had to divide it to make it smaller because it's huge for him. Well. So he knocked down the barrier so he could poop. He has pooped in the cat carrier too. I take him out, we're home with him a lot of the time, it's nothing like that. It might be a dominance issue--which I am worried about. But I am slightly frustrated.

He also still cries and screams at night. I have no idea how to get him to stop. Everyone says after a few days he should be fine. Yeah--he still hates it and me when I put him in there. I need more sleep! So if you could help me on these 2 issues... that would be fabulous!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 05:08 AM
    Ken, training a puppy is very time consuming. Housebreaking can take anywhere from a few days to a number of months. It depends on how much time you can dedicate to the dog. People always lose sleep the first month a puppy is brought into the household. You haven't mentioned his age, where you purchased him from, how many hours you leave him without a potty break, and exactly what you are doing with your training routine. It takes a good 6 months for a dog's bladder and bowels to grow strong enough for them to be able to exercise control over them. They just can't hold it. If your puppy was kept in a crate or cage, more than likely he has become accustomed to doing his business in it so it is going to take longer to break him of the habit. You also have to watch him closely and start getting a handle on his signals that he needs to potty. Sniffing around a lot, pacing, circling, are all signs of the dog readying himself to evacuate. Labman has some housebreaking and new owner tips in his sticky at the top of the forum. He also includes one of the best list of training books I have come across. Please read through the entire sticky and if you haven't picked up a good training book, consider going to your local library, or do a search online, and find one or two of those books on the list to help you. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pooping in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two year old Boston terrier who still pees and poops in her crate. I am ready to go out of my mind with the smell and the inconvenience of cleaning it everyday. She goes outside before she goes to sleep and doesn't eat after 5:30pm. Not only does she go in her crate but then she eats...

Pooping in crate [ 13 Answers ]

I have had a 14 week old Bichon Frise for 5 days. On the first night he slept in his crate after about a 1/2 hr of barking and slept through without pooping. I feed him Nutro and walk him after every meal and more-lots of toy chasing and running around. Every night after the first night he has...

Pooping in Crate [ 14 Answers ]

HELP! I have an 8 week old Rat Terrier who poops everyday in her crate while we're at work... by the time we get home, she has played in it so badly that we have to give her a bath and wash all her toys and towels from the day. How will she ever learn NOT to do this? Everyone tells me that once...

Dog pooping in crate? And other problem.. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there! I really need advice for my 1 year old male welsh terrier, bernie.. He is a HAND FUL! We are still working on house breaking him.. he is pretty much crate trained. And in the crate when we go to work, etc.. We take him out to play and run at night.. But he is still having problems, for...

Pooping in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old mini dachsund and crate training her. I have reduced the size of the crate to hopefully stop her from eliminating in her crate. When I crate her with her toys, etc. and I went upstairs. She crys and howls when I leave and hhen I came back down 10 minutes later she pooped in...

View more questions Search