Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KenshinAMV Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2006, 06:41 PM
    Monitor In Sleep Mode, Everything Else Running
    Yeah, I know there's numerous threads with the same problem... That's how I found this place ;) I read through them all and didn't get anything new so I decided to post a new thread...

Here's the story... I'm building a new computer for my mom, all the components are brand new from either newegg or tigerdirect, after I set it up, I pressed the power button and the cpu, system fans, and PSU fan started up... the hard drive spins The light on the monitor turned green, after about 2 seconds it turns orange and remains that way

Specs
    ------
    AMD AthlonXP 2800+
    Mercury KVT600X-L
    Rosewill 256MB 2.5 lat. RAM
    Apollo AGP 64MB Video Card (Radeon)
    Samsung 40GB HD Ultra ATA

I once had this problem before and it turns out the motherboard was shorting itself out so I mounted the mobo on a piece of foam, still doesn't work

I checked all the connections to make sure they were all tightly connected
    I made sure the CPU was warming up (bottom of the mobo under the cpu gets a little warm)
    I made sure the video card got a little warm (felt the other side, where the GPU is)
    I checked to see if there was anything in the AGP or RAM slots blocking the connection, nothing
    I reset the CMOS via the jumper and battery
    I switched the RAM for my working ram, no changes
    I switched the CPU for my working CPU (AthlonXP 3200+), no changes
    I switched out the video card for my working video card, no changes
    I switched out the powersupply for a spare working one I had, no changes
    I switched the monitor with mine, no changes

I've tried everything, and yes I discharged myself every time I was preparing to handle a component

Please Help, thanks in advance

- Ken
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Sounds to me like the AGP slot is damaged. If you tried a working video card and that didn't work either then the slot may be damaged.
    KenshinAMV Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2006, 07:34 PM
    That's exactly what I thought, it's brand new and all but I guess it's possible it's just defective... Is there anyway to repair it without getting a whole new mobo/returning it?

Jan 14, 2006, 04:24 AM
    Not likely.
    panthy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 05:59 AM
    My CRT monitor doesn't wake up of stand-by mode. After having my computer off for like 1-2 hours, everythings happen to be OK. I've just encountered this problem.when I replaced a new monitor, there was no problem at all, so I think this is a monitor problem. Please help me if you could.thanx

Jan 25, 2006, 06:47 AM
    If another monitor works fine in waking up from Standby, then it is likely the old monitor is dying. So just junk it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

Sleep [ 7 Answers ]

Is it true that you can die faster by not getting any sleep, then by not getting any food? I know this probably has been touched on before. Does anybody have any sleeping issues? Problems? Have you dealt with them or is it still haunting you. For me, sitting here on my computer, feeling...

MY dog won't sleep! [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 18 month old dog. The past few weeks he has decided he doesn't want to sleep through the night. We are staying at the in-laws at the moment and so he has been sleeping in the bedroom in his own bed. For some reason now he won't sleep through the night and he either wants to get on the bed...

Monitor - NO signal... running out of ideas! [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I recently purchased a new case for my computer, transferred everything from the old one etc. When it came to connecting everything, the monitor would come on, but said there was no signal. THe computer powers on and seems to be working. I tried unplugging things, took out video card etc,...

View more questions Search