Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rilenator Posts: 15, Reputation: -5

Jan 29, 2008, 03:43 AM
    How do I password-protect my files?
    Hello.

There are some files on my computer that I... would rather not have my mother see if she happens to be snooping around (which I happen to know that she does). Is there a way that I would be able to protect these files with a password? Ive been looking around for a method of this, but they all said that Windows XP doesn't have a password-protection application and that the only way would be via a third-party program, however none of them actually told me where I could find such a program. So does anyone know of a program or a method to encrypt my files with?

Peace
    -Riley
    Snow_death Posts: 43, Reputation: 0

Jan 31, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilenator
    Hello.

There are some files on my computer that I...would rather not have my mother see if she happens to be snooping around (which i happen to know that she does). Is there a way that I would be able to protect these files with a password? Ive been looking around for a method of this, but they all said that Windows XP doesn't have a password-protection application and that the only way would be via a third-party program, however none of them actualy told me where i could find such a program. So does anyone know of a program or a method to encrypt my files with?

Peace
    -Riley
    You can right click the file and "encrypt it" this will allow only your account to access the file.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 12:32 PM
    What type of documents? What program do you use the edit/access these files?

If they are Microsoft Office docs, like Word or Excel, both programs have the ability to add a password to the document. TOOLS > OPTIONS > SECURITY > PASSWORD TO OPEN

That won't stop a resourceful person from getting to the content, but it should stop your mom.

If not, then you should get a USB thumb drive and keep your personal files on there. That's way easier to keep hidden. (also way easier to lose... )

Jan 31, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow_death
    You can right click the file and "encrypt it" this will allow only your account to access the file.
    My computer runs on only one account, because I'm usually the only person who uses this.

Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    What type of documents? What program do you use the edit/access these files?

If they are Microsoft Office docs, like Word or Excel, both programs have the ability to add a password to the document. TOOLS > OPTIONS > SECURITY > PASSWORD TO OPEN

That won't stop a resourceful person from getting to the content, but it should stop your mom.

If not, then you should get a USB thumb drive and keep your personal files on there. That's way easier to keep hidden. (also way easier to lose...)
    It's a .jpg file.And I don't think I need to worry about resourcefulness, my mum sucks with computers ;)
    cgregory67 Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Jan 31, 2008, 09:30 PM
    WinZip!

You can zip files and password protect them, for your eyes only!
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 09:30 PM
    This should help you hide files and folders

Password Protect Folders And Make Files Invisible!

password protect files - Google Search

Jan 31, 2008, 10:20 PM
    Thanks
    srivastava_213 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Go for the Software Folder Lock/Folder Access

And u can Lock the Folder and If some 1 tries to Open that File It Would Redirect to Control panel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Un-password protect? [ 3 Answers ]

I password protected a Microsoft excel document a few years ago, and now that I need the information I can't remember the password! Is there any way to un-password protect the document without the password? Thanks

Password protect [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps to set a password

Any way to password protect desktop folder in XP Pro? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: I am running Windows XP Pro with SP 2. I would like to know if there is a way to password protect folders on my desktop. For instance, lets say I have all the "default" icons and then I create 5 or 6 folders for different things that I want to put in them. Say I forget to log off or...

Password protect [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a feature in windows me that allows me to password protect only one folder such as "my documents" or is there a freeware or shareware program available??

How to protect afolder with a password in win 98 [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to give any folder a password protection and how thanks :o

View more questions Search