Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nevaehsmomma07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 10:02 PM
    Claiming a child
    Hi see I am going through this thing with my parent and my boyfriend and his parents. The thing is my boyfriend (also my daughter father) thinks he can claim her on taxes even though for the first year of her life she has lived here at my parents home with me and he also resides here but his address is his mothers house and hasn't kept a job for more than a month can he still claim her or should my parents since she has lived at their household for a year?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 08:51 AM
    For your boyfriend to claim the child, he must have lived in the same residence as the child for at least half the year. If he meets this test, then he can claim the child as a dependent, and his right to do so outweighs your parents', even if they would otherwise be able to claim the child. I am assuming here that you have no income yourself and hence aren't interested in claiming the child on your own taxes. However, if your boyfriend has virtually no income himself, perhaps he can be persuaded to let your parents claim the child as a dependent, as it could provide a more significant tax break for them than it would for the boyfriend.
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Jan 29, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Hmmm... these are always tough.

If the child lived with you, the father, and your parents, who paid for half of the child's expenses? These include shelter, food, clothing, etc. The person who provided over half the support should be the person to claim the child (unless you have a child support order in place that states the father gets to claim the child)

I too have gone through this. My son and I lived with my parents for about 2 years. I did not pay rent, electric, food, etc... while living there, so my parents claimed my son. I figured it was a good trade off for not paying rent. I NEVER asked for any money that they got back either.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Actually, it is NOT that tough.

Legally, the father CANNOT claim the child because he failed to provide half of the child's support. There is NO requirement that the child live with him; the support test is the key.

That said, if he DID claim the child, and the mother's parents did as well, it would require the IRS to investigate to determine who had the legal right to the exemption. This can take a LONG time (a similar case for my client for the 2006 tax year has STILL not been resolved), and while the investigation is ongoing, NO ONE gets the money!

The best avenue is for everyone to sit down, determine the legalities and who would best benefit from claiming the child, then have the person who does claim the exemption (from my viewpoint, it would be the maternal grandparents) simpy write a check to the one who does not (the father). The amount of the check would be negotiable.

That makes it a WIN-WIN for everyone involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming my child on my taxes [ 4 Answers ]

Does my child have to be at least six months in order for me to claim her on my taxes?

Claiming a child [ 2 Answers ]

I am asking these questions for my son and his girlfriend. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. My son and his girlfriend had a baby in October. Of this year. They just moved back from TX to MA. She is living with her parents for the past 3 months until they get an apartment together. My...

Claiming child [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend made more money this year about 40,000 claiming single I made less about 15,000 claiming single who would get more back in taxes claiming the child?

Claiming child [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I think my ex is claiming our daughter on his taxes. I know he can not do this, so how do I handle it? My income is tax exempt, so I don't have to file taxes. Is there a number I can call to see if he is or what can I do? :confused: After not wanting to give me a penny for years he came up...

Claiming first child and I'm confused. [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I had a chile in early November of last year. Is it true that he had to live with us for more than half the year to qualify to be claimed for 2006? If he can be claimed who should claim him? I work and make over $30,000 a year. My girlfriend doesn't currently work and when...

View more questions Search