Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helphelp8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 09:37 PM
    My puppy won't go to the bathroom outside and instead chooses his crate?
    I just got a 10 week old wheaten terrier who refuses to go the bathroom, pee or poop, outside. Not only does he go in his crate but he actually sometimes runs to his crate to pee after having been outside for 30 minutes. I try taking him out once an hour, once a half hour repeating "go potty" but no mater my efforts, he just frolics and sniffs and tries to eat grass, even when I know he must have to pee/poop. When I stop him from entering his crate to use it as his restroom and bring him outside, not only does he not go, but sometimes he will hold it, then, and then for hours, dribbling a little but of pee in the crate until I catch him and make him stop. Today he ate breakfast and as I watched him all day tyring my best to potty train him, he didn't poop until right before dinner, when I was in the bathroom for 2 minutes. Someone please help. This is not to mention that he poops in his crate at night, regardless of me walking him before bed, at midnight and 3am... any advice would be a real help. Oh and the vet said he was perfectly healthy...
    GABRIEL5555 Posts: 20, Reputation: -1

Jan 28, 2008, 09:42 PM
    That's weird probably he/she is shy.umm I think you should send him to a vet asap and send him to get trained
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 05:16 AM
    Help, you haven't mentioned how long you have had the puppy or if you purchased him from a place in which he was crated/caged all day long. If he was kept in a cage he has become accustomed to peeing/pooping in there. So, if it going to take you a bit longer to retrain him to go outside. Have you purchased any puppy training manuals or found a local trainer to work with? Labman has a sticky at the top of the dog forum that is geared toward new puppy owners. He talks about housebreaking among other things. He also has an excellent recommended reading list. Please read through his link: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy pooping in crate [ 1 Answers ]

My 7 mth old beagle poops in her crate every day while I'm at work. My grandmother goes over and lets her out twice during the day so she is only left for 4hrs at the most without being taken out to go to the bathroom. She's been to the vet and recently fixed, but the problen continues. Please...

New puppy won't stop breathing weird. Won't poop either. [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a new puppy yesterday afternoon. He's 8 weeks old, and came from a farm. We brought him home, and the whole time he was breathing weird, like he's grunting. He slept throughout the night OK, but when I got up and took him outside, he peed but was whimpering the whole time. (I think that...

Puppy in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

Do you put food and/or water in crate during day if you need to be gone about four hours?

Puppy alone in crate or left with another puppy? [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a puppy from a neighbor who moved. He is a 2mth Caring Terrier/Chichuaua mix. My other neighbor took his brother. My neighbor doesn't want her puppy to be alone during the day and wants him to stay in the crate with mine while we are at work. I don't think this is a good idea because he...

Puppy doesn't like new crate [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy is 11 weeks old, and I've had him since he was 5 weeks old. I bought a carrier for him to sleep in when I first got him, it's made of fabric with padding and a soft bottom and mesh on the sides and ends. He was peeing in and tearing up the thing and it really stinks, so I finally got a...

View more questions Search