Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HORSEVETFL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 08:32 PM
    J1 Taxation
    Hello All,

I am on a J1 as a trainee, I have read about being exempt? Does hat mean that I will get all of the tax that was withheld back?

TIA
    Cheers
    Carolyn
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 11:04 PM
    You are exempt from FICA taxes. If you are exempt from other taxes or not, we need to know your country of citizenship and more details about your work--Are you doing a research or not?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 03:06 PM
    As a trainee, you WILL be liable for federal and state income taxes, but exempt from FICA taxes.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 09:03 PM
    The exemption is only for two years.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Agreed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxation for L1-A? [ 3 Answers ]

Read someplace that L1 visa holders are considered to have been paid a living allowance and can, therefore, claim Federal tax exemption? Is this true? If yes, what tax forms do I submit and how do I claim this exemption? TIA

401K taxation [ 2 Answers ]

My employer includes my 401K deductions as part of my gross income for taxes. Last year, this happened as well. I contribute 4 and my employer matches 100%. I ended up paying more taxes because I didn't pay taxes on the pre-tax 401k money through out the year. Should I be deducting this on my 1040?...

Double Taxation? [ 1 Answers ]

My sister was fired from her job and needed money to pay bills. She took a disbursement of her retirement. Upon disbursement they took out almost 20% in taxes before she received anything. Now when we are doing her taxes the tax software is trying to take another 10 to 15% in tax penalties. Isn't...

Double taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US citizen of Indian origin. I am working in the US and hold non-qualified stock options (of my company which is co-headquared out of the US and India). If I now go and settle (long term) in India, and exercise my options, will I be liable to paying any taxes in the US? (I...

Taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Does higher taxation mean better standard of living? Justification is required.

View more questions Search