Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corie1106 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Fighting an acknowledgement of paternity
    My son signed an acknowledgement of paternity in Ohio and died within a year of his son's 1st birthday. We are questioning the paternity. Is there a way we could fight the acknowledgement and get a dna test through the court?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Why ? Is there a large estate involved?
    corie1106 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 07:48 PM
    There is not a big estate involved and that is not the issue. We are questioning her ethics and have caught her in several lies since the death of my son. We need to know for our own peace of mind. She is also not letting us see the baby.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 09:19 PM
    You as grandparents have grandparents rights and can see the child. You will need to get a good attorney to handle this for you. You may have to end up paying for the DNA test, but if it is positive, then you will have proof for the judge to grant you visitation rights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 09:22 PM
    The estate may have a right to challenge the paternity, but I am not sure the grandparents have this right since he accepted being the father.
    This is be a very maybe issue depending on what state you live in ( if in the US)

As for vist rights, well that is also a state by state issue, you will have to file a motion in family court for visitation to be awarded by the court.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 09:28 PM
    I do know that Ohio law provides for grandparents rights at least in divorce cases.

As for the rest, I do not know about the legalities. If your son acknowledged the paternity, it seems that he wanted to, and believed he was... I'm not sure I would want to question that decision of his.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 03:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by corie1106
    We are questioning the paternity. Is there a way we could fight the acknowledgement and get a dna test through the court?
    Hello corie:

I don't know what you're trying to do. It would help if I did. I don't know if you think his son ISN'T your grandchild, and that makes you happy. Or, I don't know if you think he is, and that makes you happier.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1-b , I got the Acknowledgement number [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I Have applied for H1-b , I got the Acknowledgement number Can Any one know where to see(site) the status of my application.. I wnt to know whether my application is selected in random or not Thanks, Friend

Third party fighting for paternity test [ 3 Answers ]

I just gave birth to a healthy little girl not too long ago. Her biological father left me in the early stages of my pregnancy and I have had no communication with him since January of this year (07). I re-connected with my high school sweetheart not long after and he supported me through my...

Fighting over the WILL [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there My husbands father passed three weeks ago but my husband and sibling have not had a chance to greive as another sibling has gone into the fathers house and taken and sold all the contents currently they are selling now. The thing is 2yrs prior my mother in law died and this sibling did...

Fighting for custody [ 3 Answers ]

How can I fight for sole custody of my 4 year old if I can't prove the father is unfit?

View more questions Search