Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diane1119 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Preserving old taxidermy
    While I as an animal lover, I am opposed to the hunting of animals for display, I recently inherited some taxidermy mounts from my grandmother. My Step Grandfather went on safari in the 50's and 60's and collected a lot of heads. I now have 3 and I would like to preserve them. They are in decent shape, but are old and not much effort has been put into them. I was wondering what I could do to preserve their coats. I have a comical looking Caribou, whose antler would have painfully grown into his forehead had he not been killed and 2 other African species I have yet to determine the names of. Any ideas about something I could treat them with would be helpful. Thanks, Diane
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Hi Diane,
    I think the main concern is beetles and moths that eat fur or wool--like clothes moths and dermestid beetles, or other insects. Keep the mounts very dry (no dampness) and if you see any signs of insect activity you could dust with insecticide or use mothballs. I wouldn't use these if you don't have to since they are toxic. I used to work in a zoology museum that had lots of animal mounts. Insects were the their biggest concern. I'm far from an expert, however. Maybe search for information about protecting clothes or carpets from moths and beetles and follow those instructions?

Good luck!
    Asking
    hm9099 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 06:48 AM
    In our university collection of taxidermy mounts, we use "vapona" strips, which are a bit like fly paper. They are impregnated with an insecticide. As the previous author stated, they are toxic to touching, so should be carefully used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preserving fresh cherries [ 9 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me a way to preserve fresh cherries please? Also any recipes using them would be gratefully received... thanks

Preserving Culture [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it important to preserve a culture? Why is it not important to preserve a culture?

View more questions Search