Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vvume Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 05:16 PM
    How to pay underpaid FICA & Medicare
    Due to a confusion of resident alien status, my company (on my request) did not pay FICA/medicare for the duration of F-1 OPT in 2007 (01/01/2007-09/30/2007), even though it appears that I should have paid it because I had been a f-1 for longer than 5 years and would be considered resident alien. I was under H1-B from Oct-Dec and my FICA/medicare was deducted for that period. How do I pay the unpaid FICA/medicare when filing my 2007 taxes?

I am going to file as joint resident for 2007 using turbotax.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 10:27 PM
    You don't need to worry about the FICA taxes during OPT.
    To file joint return as resident for 2007, you must wait till you meet SPT in 2008. You will also attach a statement that you want to be treated as residents as First Year Choice. You will both report your worldwide income for 2007.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 01:39 PM
    MukatA:

This time, you are in error.

Since Vvume has been in country for more than five years, the exemptions under the F-1 visa no longer apply. Hence, he is a RESIDENT alien and IS liable for FICA taxes.

He has the legal obligation to tell his employer this fact and then the employer has to make arrangements to collect and pay the FICA taxes NOT collected during his OPT period.
    Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 01:48 AM
    Yes, you are right.
    My question: For F1 visa holders does the 5-year exemption period includes the OPT period?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Yes, that includes the OPT period.
    Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 09:03 AM
    The 5 year exemption period is full and final, I am not sure. The tax treaty has different exemptions.

This is from publication 901 for Students. While there is clearly a fixed 5 tax years limit in case of France, there is no such limit in case of India.
    For India: The individual is entitled to these benefits only for a period considered reasonable or customarily required to complete studying or training.
    For France: An individual is entitled to this benefit... for a maximum of 5 tax years.
    The treatment for students from India is not same as that from France.

Here is about J1 exemption for teaching and research for most of the countries.
    "... is exempt from U.S.income tax on income for teaching or research for a maximum of 2 years from the date of arrival in the United States."

The above statement does not have the words "2 tax years." That means the two years on J1 can be part of 3 tax years.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Agreed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About SSN & Medicare Taxes - FICA Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US in Sep 2004 and have been on F1-Student VISA since then. I graduated in Sep 2006 and am currently on OPT (Oct 16, 2006 to Oct 15, 2007). I started working full-time in October 2006 as soon as I graduated. I was receiving regular biweekly paychecks but the TAX deductions...

Social security and medicare (FICA) [ 1 Answers ]

I have several question regarding my tax status and FICA responsibility. Here's my case -I was a student on F-1 visa until May 2006. -Started working on OPT (still F-1 visa) in May 2006. I was not paying FICA taxes during this time. - Received my H-1B visa in October but my company did not start...

FICA and Medicare Withholding [ 0 Answers ]

Does a person who is collecting Social Security benefits have FICA and Medicare withheld from pay?

H1B FICA medicare tax question [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anybody here can answer a question regarding FICA/medicare taxes. I worked for a year after graduating from a master's program, but still in F1 status so I didn't have to pay FICA and medicare. Those taxes are now regularly deducted from my paycheck and I checked the social...

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am [ 2 Answers ]

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am from China. My H-1 may be approved for starting this Oct.

View more questions Search