Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    detroitdiesel Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2008, 12:42 PM
    32 exterior door
    Hello All,

I scored an awesome deal the other day. I bought an 32 in exterior door, got it home and realized it is a 6 1/2 jamb for a 2x6 opening. I have 2x4 framing. So I need to make this fit. Where can I get another 2 inches at ? Should I rip cut a couple of 2x4's and add to the existing opening? Any help will be greatly appreciated!! I really don't want to get another door
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jan 28, 2008, 01:27 PM
    We have one wall with a 2" step-out in it (where it must switch from 2*4 to 2*6 construction) and it is the stupidest looking thing ever. :eek:

You have not given any indication whether the inside of the existing exterior wall is finished or rough. The easiest thing is just to fur out the existing inside wall to 2*6 width across the whole length of the wall. Maybe rip a 2*4 and then add a strip of 1/2" plywood to get the 2" you need?

If that is complicated because the interior wall is already finished or perhaps you have a number of windows on it, then another option might be to use some decorative trim to make an architectural statement . i.e. build the door out with 2*6 for maybe 1 foot on either side of the door... and then use trim to make it seem like the two vertical edges between the 2*6 and 2*4 are actually posts. It might be nice depending on the way the rest of the house looks.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 28, 2008, 06:26 PM
    What I would do is just rip the jamb to fit your existing jamb depth which is probably 4 9/16
    Just take a skill saw to the outside edge of the jamb. You may want to leave maybe a lite 1/16 heavy where you can plan or sand down the saw marks.

The easiest thing to do here is if you had a flush cut saw for flooring. It would make quick work of this problam, but if you don't have this then using the skill saw is the next best thing.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jan 28, 2008, 06:47 PM
    I wondered about that too... but I assumed it was a pre-hung exterior door. If so, ripping the threshold would leave an exposed edge to the weather. I suppose you could leave the threshold at 2*6... but that would leave a odd bit on either side of the threshold.

Jan 28, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the help I am still thinking also. Just been a very busy couple days, and since the weather isn't the greatest, I can start to think about this project. Yes it is a pre-hung door that were talking about, the inside is finished with almost an inch thick plaster, then the 2x4 , then the wooden clapboard siding. When I measured the new door from the backside of the brick-mold to the end of the jamb I got 6 1/2. I took off the door casing(on the existing door) a little bit ago and noticed that the brick-mold is about 1/2 in front of the wooden clapboard.

So I am not sure how the previous owners of the place mounted that door? So until the weather break a little more to get the outside casings off

Thanks for the info I am hoping to get this figured out soon!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 12:25 PM
    You didn't give the measurement of the existing jams but sounds like you accidentally got the correct door. If you have 1" of plaster on the interior a 5 1/2" jam will not work. If the existing jams are 6 1/2" you just need to add 1/2" filler strip on the exterior before installing. Otherwise I suggest that you remove the door from the new frame, remove the brick molding, dissamble the frame and rip it to the required width. If you have a metal threshold and it extends out too far you may have to notch it for the brick molding.

Jan 29, 2008, 01:17 PM
    The existing door frame is 4 1/2. I was brainstorming last night, Where the door is going is a hallway that's only 7 ft wide with no windows. I am going to remove the plaster and fur out the 2x4's and insulate the cavities. Then just re-drywall! What do you guys think?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Would it be simpler to remove the door -- and fit it to the existing doorway

A little trim work and you are done -- making frame from 1'' x 4" even seems

easier than sawing down the frame -- Maybe you could dissasemble frame

and cut off 1" on both sides of top 3 pieces (sawing would be easier if they were

seperated) and fix bottom piece to look right... Reassemble door frame
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 29, 2008, 06:05 PM
    OK you've answered some questions I had, what id do is se the door first, then it sounds like the jamb won't extend into the room that much. What ever it sticks into the room then just add a filler strip the backside of the interior casing. As long as it isn't like a 1" or bigger that would be fine. Keep in mind the filler strip needs to be flush with the outside edge of the casing to where it looks like its just part of the casing.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Glavine has nailed it but I have to spread some more points around before I can rate his excellent approach.
    daisy27 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitdiesel
    Hello All,

I scored an awesome deal the other day. I bought an 32 in exterior door, got it home and realized it is a 6 1/2 jamb for a 2x6 opening. I have 2x4 framing. So i need to make this fit. Where can i get another 2 inches at ? Should i rip cut a couple of 2x4's and add to the existing opening? Any help will be greatly appreciated !!!! I really don't want to get another door
    Ripp the jamb on the door , put in another threshole.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting Exterior Fiberglass Door [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I'm replacing a metal exterior door with a pre-primed fiberglass exterior door and I'm wondering what is the best painting method and the best paint to use. Also, if I paint with a brush, should the paint be thinned. Thanks. LocoE

Repairing exterior door frame only [ 1 Answers ]

We had a customer use force to try and open a locked exterior door and broke the frame. The maintenance man did not know how to fix this and took a section of the frame off to repair, and now cannot get it put back together.

New door and jamb? EXTERIOR [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1920"s stucco home. They still have I believe, possibly the original doors. My wife wants new doors,so do I. I want to attempt to buy replacement doors with jams attached. I didn't remove anything yet,but measured jam thickness of old doors. It is larger then doors at Home Depot. ...

Door hinges for exterior swinging doors [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where to actually purchase these door hinges for extetior swing. They do exist I got the info on the internet, but my local hardwares do not carry them. Thank you.

Paint exterior door [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently painted my exterior door which is a metal plate on a wooden door. Before painting, I striped the old paint, sanded, cleaned, and primed the door. I then used a brush to apply a good latex exterior paint. When the paint dried it looks like it had "water spots" all over the door. ...

View more questions Search