Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrhall41 Posts: 123, Reputation: 6

Jan 28, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Limping dog
    My friend has a 10-year old bichon frise that started limping from one back leg about a week and a half ago.
    They have examined the leg thoroughly and dog doesn't react to having any pain, but when she gets put back on the floor, she starts limping again.
    The limping started when she was paying in the yard and then suddenly came back limping. There is no signs of injury or trauma.
    Please advise.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Could be a back problem developing, or could be arthritis.
    wolfcandy2 Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Jan 28, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Have you checked the pads on the paws could be something there or they could be open

Jan 28, 2008, 11:52 AM
    They checked her paws and there is no sign of open injury on the pads or between the toes. They hold the paw firmly (not to hurt her) and she doesn't cry or whimper in pain either
    Any other suggestions?
    wolfcandy2 Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Jan 28, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Hmmmm... what about the nails,one could be broken

Jan 28, 2008, 12:52 PM
    I will tell them to check on that. Thanks.!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Lrhall, if the dog is limping for more than a few days and there doesn't appear to be any physical reason for this, it is time for your friends to break open the piggy bank and take her to the vet for an examination. The reason could be something to do with the bones, joints, tendons, or as mowerman points out, she could be developing arthritis. There are medications out there that help with arthritis, bone, and joint issues. A torn tendon usually requires limiting their exercise. No running, jumping, or long walks. She needs to rest it to allow it to heal.

Jan 28, 2008, 07:05 PM
    I will pass the information to them. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Limping of dog [ 1 Answers ]

My six year old female daschund has started limping. She limps with her left rear leg. The vet could not treat her. What could be the cause?

Limping dog [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for some thoughts here on when I should go to a vet and how long I should take a "wait and see" approach. Here's the background: Took Trinkett out to the Speed Alley fund-raiser (essentially a lure course they set up enclosed by that orange cyclone fencing) the greyhound adoption group...

Follow Up To Limping Dog Yesterday. Hip Dysplasia [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My dog Max ended up showing shallow hip sockets and being diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia yesterday. I was not with my husband so I didn't get to discuss it with the vet, and I have a list of questions. I do plan to get in this weekend to discuss it with her but was wondering what sort...

Limping Dog [ 1 Answers ]

We acquired Max as an orphan by some new construction model homes (I've since decided this is a dog drop off zone). I thought he was an adult, as it turned out he was so young he hadn't lost a tooth even, and was already 37 pounds! He's now almost 2 - we have given him Halloween for a birthday...

Dog limping [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My dog has been limping and I checked his foot and it seems he has lost part of his nail. Can anyone suggest any in home remedies to treat it. He is not constantly bleeding but there is blood on the tip of his nail. It doesn't seem to be getting on the carpet but I don't want it to get...

View more questions Search