Ask
    Jaymo5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Giving up parents rights
    How do you give your rights up?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 12:24 PM
    You must have the permission of a judge, but will still have the responsibility of child support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Generally you don't. Relinquishing parental rights is a serious business and rarely granted except to clear the way for an adoption.
    Jaymo5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Why would I still have to pay childsupport if I give up my rights?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Because parental RIGHTS are different than parental RESPONSIBILITIES.

You have a right to make decisions on behalf of your child (which school, medical treatment, etc)

You have a responsibility to make sure your child has food on their table, a roof over their head, heat, etc--which is what child support is for.

Do you really think there would be people sitting in jail for not paying child support if it were as easy as signing away your rights?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymo5
    why would I still have to pay childsupport if i give up my rights?
    Because your rights and your obligations are two different things. If getting out of paying child support were as easy as giving up your rights then just about every non custodial parent would do it.

But the taxpayer shouldn't have to pay to support your child because you are a deadbeat. So the courts do not allow you to relinquish rights so easily. And even where they do, they don't relieve you of your obligations to support your offspring.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Jan 28, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymo5
    why would I still have to pay childsupport if i give up my rights?
    Its your kid... Its YOUR responsibility.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 03:41 PM
    If it was as easy as "giving up your rights" there would not be jails full of dead beat dads who will not pay their support. They would have merely given up their rights long ago to not go to jail.

Your rights are just that rights, ability to visit, ability to have a say in the child's life and the right to be prt of your child's life.

Your responsibility is to pay child support as a percent of your income, to pay for additional medical costs and to pay for part of the college costs.

And if the child or the custodial parent receives welfare, the state can also come after the non custodial parent for some of those costs.

The only real exception is where the custodial parent has a partner willing to adopt the child, then all future support will end, but many times back support will still be owed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up my rights [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 4yr old daughter that I have never seen. I live on the other side of the states from her. I pay child support faithfully, but yet I am never able to see her every time I get back home. There is always a reason why. Well I found out that her mother is getting married, and there was talk...

Giving up rights. [ 6 Answers ]

Ok.. this is the deal.. my boyfriend and I have been dating off and on for 5 years in October.. when we were 2 years into our relationship the only other girl he has ever been with got pregnant.. (we were not together at the time).. well at first both were like we don't want this kid.. she took the...

Giving up rights [ 3 Answers ]

Can a father give up his rights to avoid child support?

Giving up rights [ 3 Answers ]

The mother of my child has been very unfair with me, my question is if I relinquish my rights from my son, do I still pay support?

Giving up his rights? [ 12 Answers ]

If my ex husband wants to give up his rights to my daughter does someone have to be there to take over his rights or not?? He has not been in her life at all and she is only 18 months old. He wants to give up his rights but not to my soon to be husband unless he has to, so I am trying to find out...

View more questions Search